Returning to the UK with a toddler

Old Jul 19th 2021, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Ben in Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK with a toddler

​​Hi,

I'd really appreciate any advice on this one.

I'm going to be moving back to the UK later this year with my family from Canada. My daughter was born in Canada and only has a Canadian passport, but as I understand she is automatically a British citizen through me. Both of my parents and I are British citizens born in the UK.

It will be difficult for me to manage to get her a first British passport before we come back to the UK as it looks like I will need to send my passport and my parents original birth certificates with the application. I am planning on coming back to the UK for a couple of weeks to look for property, schools etc before the permanent move, so can't really afford to be without my passport for an indefinite period.

The British embassy in Canada say that they don't deal with passports any more except for emergency issues and said that this wouldn't qualify as an emergency.

It seems that the only option is to apply for a child's visa for her to get into the UK and then to apply for a passport while we are there. The visa costs about £1500 which I don't really have, especially with the costs associated with relocating.

If anyone knows of another option it would be hugely appreciated.

Best,

Ben In Canada
Old Jul 19th 2021, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK with a toddler

- You cannot apply for a visa for your daughter if, as you say, she is British.
- if you absolutely cannot get a passport for your daughter before you finally leave for the UK, then she could enter the UK on her Canadian passport and you obtain her British passport once you are settled in UK.
- We don't recommend this route since you are likely to be 'quizzed' (even taken to secondary) by the Border authorities as to you daughter's 'right' to enter the UK - it's only your word that she is British. So I would recommend you have your birth certificate ready to show you are a Brit born and bred and her birth certificate to show you are her father.
- Your daughter will probably be admitted as a visitor and you'll be told to get her passport asap.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

That is really interesting. Having my daughter's, my and my parents original birth certificates should be possible. Has anyone had experience coming in to the UK that way with a one-way flight?
Old Jul 19th 2021, 5:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What year were you born?
Old Jul 19th 2021, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I was born in March 1983, and my daughter in 2018. I just missed the cutoff for not needing to send parents birth certificates.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 2:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of when you were born you don’t need to submit your passport for your child’s application. So long as you provide your passport number then you shouldn’t need to send your parents’ certificates either.