Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK does US child have to enter on UK passport?

Returning to UK does US child have to enter on UK passport?

Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Returning to UK does US child have to enter on UK passport?

We are returning to the UK at the end of March. I will be entering on my UK passport, my husband witha US passport with a visa and my newborn on her US passport.

The baby is a British citizen also, I have her British birth certificate from the embassy but so far only have a Us passport for her. Is this going to cause issues going through customs and immigration?

On the gov www it is saying at least 6 weeks for new passport sent outside UK. I have 5 weeks before we leave and looks like no expedited service is available.....
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK does US child have to enter on UK passport?

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
We are returning to the UK at the end of March. I will be entering on my UK passport, my husband witha US passport with a visa and my newborn on her US passport.

The baby is a British citizen also, I have her British birth certificate from the embassy but so far only have a Us passport for her. Is this going to cause issues going through customs and immigration?

On the gov www it is saying at least 6 weeks for new passport sent outside UK. I have 5 weeks before we leave and looks like no expedited service is available.....
Ideally you would want your baby to enter on a British passport. Take a look at this thread for current turnaround times.

If you have a British consular birth certificate however it's unlikely that you will have too much trouble entering the UK with your baby's US passport providing the details match up.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi Yorkie,
I just got three passports for my kids a few weeks back. I applied from the US to Durham using FedEx for the docs and we had their UK passports in hand within two weeks.
Cheers,
Nigel
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience just recently. It only took a max of 2 weeks. Good luck!!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Ideally you would want your baby to enter on a British passport. Take a look at this thread for current turnaround times.

If you have a British consular birth certificate however it's unlikely that you will have too much trouble entering the UK with your baby's US passport providing the details match up.
+1.

In 2012, I had no problems returning to the UK with my Canadian born, UKC daughter on her Canadian passport. The border agent merely commented that it would be "better" for her to apply for a British passport. I had supporting documents at the ready, but was not asked for them.

(Although we are now back in Canada, we did eventually apply for her British passport, via Durham, & it was a very painless & rapid procedure)

SB
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:57 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

After reading several pots about people applying for a british passport

How come everyone says Durham? on the website it told me to send it to Liverpool office 0_o
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 11:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
After reading several pots about people applying for a british passport

How come everyone says Durham? on the website it told me to send it to Liverpool office 0_o
Because a lot of posters are based in North America which is the responsibility of the Durham passport office. Asia is handled by the Liverpool office.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 11:46 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Because a lot of posters are based in North America which is the responsibility of the Durham passport office. Asia is handled by the Liverpool office.
Really? interesting.... Thanks man!