Returning To The UK In 2021 With EU Spouse

Old Mar 17th 2020, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Swiss John is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning To The UK In 2021 With EU Spouse

I am a UK national married (16 years) to a German national living in Switzerland.
My wife will be taking early retirement in December 2021 which is when we want to move to the UK .
We will be financially secure with a combination of pensions, savings plus me working part-time
We are in the process of selling our property in Germany to buy a house in the UK.
I have been scouring the internet to find out what we need in order to make a stress-free transition to the UK, alas without success.
The best I can find is:

UK nationals’ children and existing close family members (including spouses, partners, parents and grandparents) who are moving to the UK from the EU, after the UK has left the EU, will be able to do so without the need for a visa until 29 March 2022.

Returning from outside of the EU

UK nationals’ family members with EEA or Swiss citizenship who live outside the EU and are moving to the UK after the UK has left the EU will be able to do so, without the need for a visa, until 31 December 2020

(taken from UK Government Guidance - Returning to the UK )

Since we are not moving from the EU and my German wife is both an EU and EEA citizen, it seems the country you are moving from and not your citizenship is what counts.

Since we will be moving in 2021 will she need a visa and, if so, what kind of visa ?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 10:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning To The UK In 2021 With EU Spouse

Providing you both move to the UK before 29 March 2022 your wife will not require a visa to enter and she can apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme after she arrives to enable her to stay.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Swiss John is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your time and reply,
As I read the UK Government Guidance - Returning to the UK, it says that UK nationals and spouses moving to the UK from the EU will have until 29th March 2022 to do so without the need for a visa. Since we live in Switzerland, which is not part of the EU nor the EEA, are we going to have problems ?

One way to circumvent this problem might be for my wife to return to Germany in 2021 and register there so that she will qualify as having moved from an EU country. Does anyone have any thoughts to the pros or cons of this or any other advice they could give me ? I really don't want to buy a house in England in 2020/21 if I am not going to be able to live there with my wife.
Old Apr 19th 2020, 11:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

For the purposes of the UK Immigration Rules, the EU/EEA includes Switzerland.