Retiring to UK with Dual Nationality Husband

Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:30 am
Just Joined

readytoretire is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Retiring to UK with Dual Nationality Husband

Hello all:

I'm brand new to this forum, so please forgive me if this question has already been answered somewhere else.

I'm in serious planning mode for my husband and I to retire to the UK in a few years. I'm a British Citizen, we've been married and living in Canada for over 30 years, and he has dual nationality Canadian/German (he has both passports). We had always just assumed that as an EU citizen, he would just be able to retire back to the UK with me with no problem. Now, we're wondering what to do about a possible no-deal Brexit. I should mention that we'll be able to meet the financial requirements for any necessary visa without any problem.

I have two questions:
  • In your opinion(s), would he be better off applying for a visa to join me as a Canadian or as a German?
  • Would I have to go back without him first in order for him to "join" me, or could we just arrive together?
Any advice / opinion / wild guess would be gratefully received. ;-)
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to UK with Dual Nationality Husband

Firstly, I'd wait a few weeks and see if Brexit actually happens at al!

​​​​​Secondly if he needs a visa he would be immigrating to the UK as your husband, it doesn't make much difference what his nationality is, and certainly not between two western, industrialized countries. In any case during the application process (if that becomes necessary) he would have to disclose both his nationalities anyway.

If you have the "cash in the bank" to support a visa, or you have a job earning the minimum specified amount to return to within 90 days, and having been earnin at least that much for the past six months outside the UK, then you can return together.

BTW Welcome to BE.

Pleae take a moment to review the site rules linked in the top menu bar above.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2019 at 6:13 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:51 am
Just Joined

readytoretire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to UK with Dual Nationality Husband

Thanks very much, Pulaski! That's helpful.

Yes, I did wonder about asking now, since Brexit is still up in the air. I'm just having "midnight monkey brain" at the minute and thought I might as well ask.

Thanks, also, for the welcome.