retires moving back to UK.canadian spouse

Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Snowman51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default retires moving back to UK.canadian spouse

hi,
I am a retired stay at home wife (50 yrs young!!!)
Born in england, moved out cananda when I was 24, found a job ,then a canadian husband.
I worked in cananda for 7 years, my husband work for 8 years
we have been married for 21 years, we moved to usa 19 years ago .
I worked in usa for 18 years full time,then decided to call it a day and become a home maker.
my husband still works full time, and hopefully will be able to retire at age 55.
We both became US citizens 10 years ago, it was easier to travel and we did not have worry about visa etc.
my question is.... We would both love to eventually retire to my home country, England, when he is retired.
We have 401k's, IRA's and bank savings, (money wise , very secure and independent at this stage..hopefully will increase)
how difficult would it be for my husband to secure a permanent status, passport, visa??????
I have dreamed of moving back home for many,many years.
also I will add, I have all my family over there, also a brother who has a very large home with annex who is begging to me move in with him and his family...which I would love to do one day. so a home is no problem.
please help if possible.
I just want to get a idea of how complex and difficult this would be, I have lots of time to plan, since my husband has at least 5 more years before he retires.
also we have no kids.
many,many thanks.

Last edited by Snowman51; Mar 11th 2014 at 7:31 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: retires moving back to UK.canadian spouse

Originally Posted by Snowman51
hi,
I am a retired stay at home wife (50 yrs young!!!)
Born in england, moved out cananda when I was 24, found a job ,then a canadian husband.
I worked in cananda for 7 years, my husband work for 8 years
we have been married for 21 years, we moved to usa 19 years ago .
I worked in usa for 18 years full time,then decided to call it a day and become a home maker.
my husband still works full time, and hopefully will be able to retire at age 55.
We both became US citizens 10 years ago, it was easier to travel and we did not have worry about visa etc.
my question is.... We would both love to eventually retire to my home country, England, when he is retired.
We have 401k's, IRA's and bank savings, (financly secure and independent at this stage..hopefully will increase)
how difficult would it be for my husband to secure a permanent status, passport, visa??????
I have dreamed of moving back home for many,many years.
also I will add, I have all my family over there, also a brother who has a very large home with annex who is begging to me move in with him and his family...which I would love to do one day. so a home is no problem.
please help if possible.
I just to get a idea of how complex and difficult this would be, I have lots of time to plan, since my husband has at least 5 more years before he retires.
many,many thanks.
Hi Snowman51 and welcome.

It sounds from your description that you're in great shape. Under the current rules (as of July 2012) you would need savings of 62,500 UK Pounds, in your name (because you would 'sponsor' your husband's application) and proof that the savings have been there for at least six months. It also sounds like you can prove you have somewhere to live.

I would have a good read through here first...
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK

That should answer most, if not all of your questions for now. If not come back and post a question.

Rules and details might change over the next 5 years so keep checking on here for news and also search for UK immigration news. That should keep you up to date.

Given the atmosphere right now concerning returning ex-pats with non-EU spouses, you might want to consider going back sooner than 5 years if you can swing it. At least you can get back now. Who the heck knows what the UK Government has in store for us (returning ex-Pats) in the future.

Good luck to you!!
Old Mar 11th 2014, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Snowman51 is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks for responding,
I know we have a while yet, but it never hurts to have all you ducks in a row!!!
I am probably wrong, but I throught maybe since he is from canada then moving to uk would be easier???? like i said its early days yet.
I am also concerned about US tax's.. all our money is in US accounts, I will have to called fidelity (our investment company) how they handle sending out payouts to uk, the list is endless of questions.
also, would I have to clean out all my us bank accounts to a uk account??
( i would move it to my brothers account, then get my own )
its exciting and kinda nerve racking, but I did all this when I was much younger and alone and had zero money!!!
thanks again for responding.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully to see how you would qualify under the various categories for financial fulfillment:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...5/IDI6.doc.pdf

It sounds as though you are going to qualify under the savings/investment route (you need 62,500 GBP under your control for 6 months minimum).

The is another route which MAY be open to you if your husband has British ancestry (grandparents etc) which would qualify him for an Ancestry visa.

He DOES have to work to qualify for this visa, but it does not have the huge financial requirements. Then, he could, while on the Ancestry visa, switch to a spouse visa once in the UK, and both his and your income at that stage (if you both worked) could be used towards the spouse financial requirement
Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Just a small clarification. If you use the savings route of £62,500 (as of now) the money can be in either name or both. And, no, you do not have to empty your US account. Once the money is instantly accessible, it can be in any bank account that is recognized by the Home Office. Your husband would initially get a spousal visa and then reapply in two and a half years for FLR and in another two and a half years he can apply for ILR. Each time he will have to show adequate finances to support himself. All this is if your husband cannot go with the Ancestry route.