Retirement Issues

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

miniminx3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Retirement Issues

I want to come home. I have been living as a permanent resident in the USA for 15 years now where I got married. If my husband and I decide to live in England, can we draw from our US retirement funds when it comes time to retire? Also, will we be eligible the equivalent of social security upon retiring in England once we begin to work in England?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

david28078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement Issues

More or less a question I have too. I'm a Brit and my Missus is a Y... sorry American (of Cornish descent oi!)

We met in my pub in Bath England and just want to come back - Medicare and Medicaid is going to be a major PITA when we get to retiring.

David
Charlotte, NC via San Francisco, CA via Plymouth UK
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

I feel your pain. I would never have left dear old Blighty if I had known I would end up being gone for so long and it would be hard to get back.

I think we would be eligible for NHS once we have been living there for one year.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by miniminx3
I feel your pain. I would never have left dear old Blighty if I had known I would end up being gone for so long and it would be hard to get back.

I think we would be eligible for NHS once we have been living there for one year.
We're OK for NHS as soon as we get off the 'plane. My Missus was fine and she is an American Citizen - when she came to England in 92 she was signed up with a NI # and GP right away - free.....
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

If my husband is US Citizen, how do we get him legal - does he have to become a British Citizen or can I claim him?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david28078
We're OK for NHS as soon as we get off the 'plane. My Missus was fine and she is an American Citizen - when she came to England in 92 she was signed up with a NI # and GP right away - free.....
Don't be so sure of that. Times have changed!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

If my husband is US Citizen, how do we get him legal - does he have to become a British Citizen or can I claim him?
yep check out.....http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/passpor...n/immigration/

he needs an ILR stamp aka Indefinite Leave to Remain.... after 3 yrs he can apply for UK passport.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by david28078
We're OK for NHS as soon as we get off the 'plane. ....
says who? how long have you lived out of the uk?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
It's actually correct. As long as the USC spouse has a spousal visa to live in the UK, s(he) will be covered from day one.

For all these relocation/immigration questions, www.uk-yankee.com is an invaluable resource.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Don't be so sure of that. Times have changed!
They were OK in February when my Missus damaged her ankle everything was free, polite , pleasant and no bs.

We have had talks with our financial advisor and all will be well - I'm a Brit too and my Missus has leave to stay from the Home Office - we even have our old Doctor taking us back - so where did you get that gem of a statement?

BTW I also inquired about my MIL who is in her 70s and she qualifies same as my wife - it was even mentioned she would get a free bus pass........
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

13 years - Our Doc and Financial Advisor and Lawyer have all stated so too
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
It's actually correct. As long as the USC spouse has a spousal visa to live in the UK, s(he) will be covered from day one.

For all these relocation/immigration questions, www.uk-yankee.com is an invaluable resource.
i didn't know the usc spouse had a spousal visa.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

i didn't know the usc spouse had a spousal visa.
I assumed that as they were planning to live in the UK, they would obtain a spousal visa for the husband. Although, reading her posts again, it's not entirely clear...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Michigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really niceMichigan Man is just really nice

I want to come home. I have been living as a permanent resident in the USA for 15 years now where I got married. If my husband and I decide to live in England, can we draw from our US retirement funds when it comes time to retire? Also, will we be eligible the equivalent of social security upon retiring in England once we begin to work in England?
Have your kept your NI contributions up to date? I know we didn't, we stopped paying when we left the UK. We had to pay approx 300 pounds per year for the number of years we had missed to make sure that we were eligible for full pension. Friends of ours did it and the pension you get far outweighs the cost of the catch up payments.
The address to check it out is:
Inland Revenue
Centre for Non Residents
BP 1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
UK
www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk

I will also be drawing from my US retirement funds, I transferred my 401K to an IRA and as soon as I get back to the UK I will set up a savings plan there and transfer over my dollars to get a better rate of interest than I can out here. It is impossible to open a savings account until you live in the UK, you will see that from many other posts.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michigan Man
Have your kept your NI contributions up to date? I know we didn't, we stopped paying when we left the UK. We had to pay approx 300 pounds per year for the number of years we had missed to make sure that we were eligible for full pension. Friends of ours did it and the pension you get far outweighs the cost of the catch up payments.
The address to check it out is:
Inland Revenue
Centre for Non Residents
BP 1301
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
UK
www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk

I will also be drawing from my US retirement funds, I transferred my 401K to an IRA and as soon as I get back to the UK I will set up a savings plan there and transfer over my dollars to get a better rate of interest than I can out here. It is impossible to open a savings account until you live in the UK, you will see that from many other posts.
I did not keep my contributions up and there is a shut off date as to when you can make up the contributions.
We are also transferring our 401 to an IRA and will take that back with us to the UK. The way the dollar is now we feel would not be a good time to take the money back with us even if we had sold our house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.