Wikiposts

Renunciation of British Citizenship: Few Questions

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Renunciation of British Citizenship: Few Questions

Hi there

I'm sitting here with the declaration of renunciation form (for renouncing British citizenship) and I have a few really quick questions about the process.

1) I'm living in Beijing and would guess that the dear old Home Office wouldn't send it directly to Beijing (and I'm worried about something going wrong in the process) so I'm thinking about asking them to send the confirmation to my witness (who is in agreement). Do you think that it's acceptable for me to write the same address as my witness/countersignatory on Section 1 of the form where it says:
"I (full name)..[MY NAME]... of (full address)..[MY WITNESSES ADDRESS]..."

However, this address is not an address that I'm associated with. The reason why I want to do this is that my witness is a very trustworthy person who will be able to send the completed form directly to me in Beijing (and he writes Chinese, which makes the addressing of the envelop easier).

2) I can't possibly relinquish my Irish passport during the process but will definitely send a copy of it with the renunciation form. Will this be acceptable? I've sent emails to the Home Office on every email address that I've been able to find but no-one has replied!!! I'll be back in the UK for a short time at the end of this month and plan to do the renunciation then, but I'll need to Irish passport to get back into China in February. Therefore, I can't be without it.

Thanks a lot for any assistance
CC

PS: Any personal experience would be super!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renunciation of British Citizenship: Few Questions

A completely emotional response from someone who took part in a citizenship ceremony today, but don't do it.

Just don't. Citizenship is such a precious thing.

Find another way, find a job that pays enough, move to Europe for six months, there is another way.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Hi BritinParis

Thanks a lot for your appeal. Unfortunately, for me, time spent with my family and partner is more important than British citizenship. I know this will sound strange to a lot of people but that's truly how I feel.

I was considering Surinder Singh via another EEA country, but who knows what new rules will be launched on that front. I was also considering getting a job in the UK first and then inviting my partner over, but that means at least 6 months of separation, which doesn't work for me.

Don't worry - I've considered the options and this is the only one which seems suitable. I'm aware there are risks, but I'm willing to deal with this if/when the time comes up.

Anyone got any clue about the address thingy and sending a copy of the other country passport? I'm only worried that these two things will cause the renunciation process to fail.

Best wishes to all
CC
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A completely emotional response from someone who took part in a citizenship ceremony today, but don't do it.

Find another way, find a job that pays enough, move to Europe for six months, there is another way.
Yup!
There has to be another way!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

There are...but they're not that easy either. Haha.

I don't know why so many people are so worried about losing a citizenship...doesn't make a big difference when it's Irish/British...
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:10 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Immigration shouldn't be an emotional matter.

Logically, it is a practical process leading to a practical conclusion. You weigh up all the practical factors and make a decision upon where to live based on a thoughtful analysis of those factors. Then you figure out a legal way to play the game as it has been established.

I long ago learned to detach myself from any emotions regarding nationality insofar as moving countries. Immigration is a hierarchy of rules, steps, and motions. Any flag-waving that happens along the way is nothing more than indoctrination, in my opinion.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's unlikely that anyone on an online forum will know the details of what exact documentation is sufficient to renounce British citizenship.

Normally you should never submit a foreign passport for anything other than a visa application. And the British Nationality Act 1981 does not mandate that applicants for renunciation of British citizenship actually possess a foreign passport - only another citizenship.

I concur with the other person who said that you're making a mistake, however if you determined to go ahead and renounce and want to know the process, it would be recommended to download and read the Home Office Nationality Instructions online (use a search engine to find them, if you don't already know). These are what the Home Office case worker will use.

You do normally have to hand over your British passport (if you have one) as part of the process, as far as I know. And the Home Office will inform the Passport Office, so they can add you to the list of former citizens no longer eligible for passport facilities.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi JAJ

Thanks for your note.

I've been through all the documentation online. I will be providing a copy of the other passport and my birth certificate which proves entitlement to another citizenship. I'm also going to include a copy of my signed/stamped employment contract in China to show that, at least, I will need a passport to enter China (and it obviously isn't the British one). Hopefully this will convince them that I have another citizenship. I've emailed the Home Office to ask, but, as usual, haven't received a reply.

The only reason why I asked on here is to see if anyone has experience of this (a few people have been discussing it in the past) and to see what they provided.

Thanks again
CC
-------

PS: I agree completely with Rebecca: immigration is a process that leads to results. In my case, citizenship (or losing it) is just a way to be with the people I love at the same time. I don't want to miss out on things just because I want to be a citizen of a particular country. Time is much more precious.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
I've emailed the Home Office to ask, but, as usual, haven't received a reply.
They don't do personal consultancy. Use the Nationality Instructions as a guide.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I asked for information under the FOIA. Surely they have a 'legal' responsibility to reply to that within the framework. I didn't request information about my personal situation.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by chaoclive
I asked for information under the FOIA. Surely they have a 'legal' responsibility to reply to that within the framework. I didn't request information about my personal situation.
If you are asking how they handle nationality applications, the answer is already available in the Nationality Instructions.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:02 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's unlikely that anyone on an online forum will know the details of what exact documentation is sufficient to renounce British citizenship.

Normally you should never submit a foreign passport for anything other than a visa application. And the British Nationality Act 1981 does not mandate that applicants for renunciation of British citizenship actually possess a foreign passport - only another citizenship.

I concur with the other person who said that you're making a mistake, however if you determined to go ahead and renounce and want to know the process, it would be recommended to download and read the Home Office Nationality Instructions online (use a search engine to find them, if you don't already know). These are what the Home Office case worker will use.

You do normally have to hand over your British passport (if you have one) as part of the process, as far as I know. And the Home Office will inform the Passport Office, so they can add you to the list of former citizens no longer eligible for passport facilities.
Just curious. What are the reason that renunciation is a mistake?
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Just curious. What are the reason that renunciation is a mistake?
Citizenship - especially citizenship of a developed country - is never something that should be cast aside lightly. Even if one does not have any emotional or patriotic attachment to that country.

Over time, circumstances change and laws change and what seems free of consequences today may have far reaching consequences in future.

Under current law, resumption of British citizenship in future is at the discretion of the Secretary of State, rather than by entitlement, so nothing is guaranteed.

One also wonders how aware the Home Office are of this emerging phenomenon of renunciation of British citizenship in order to facilitate a particular migration outcome. One option they might have to close the loophole would be to amend the Immigration Rules to grant ILR to any former British citizen.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:05 am
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by JAJ
Citizenship - especially citizenship of a developed country - is never something that should be cast aside lightly. Even if one does not have any emotional or patriotic attachment to that country.

Over time, circumstances change and laws change and what seems free of consequences today may have far reaching consequences in future.

Under current law, resumption of British citizenship in future is at the discretion of the Secretary of State, rather than by entitlement, so nothing is guaranteed.

One also wonders how aware the Home Office are of this emerging phenomenon of renunciation of British citizenship in order to facilitate a particular migration outcome. One option they might have to close the loophole would be to amend the Immigration Rules to grant ILR to any former British citizen.
They could. But that doesn't change the rules about rights of residence of Irish.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
They could. But that doesn't change the rules about rights of residence of Irish.
Not for now. But those rules could change in the future.

Less than 15 years ago, New Zealand citizens had de-facto automatic permanent resident status in Australia. Those rights have been removed. New Zealanders can still live and work in Australia, but no longer get automatic access to most rights of permanent residents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.