rental issue.renting while away

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

djamila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rental issue.renting while away

hello....

in relation to our spouse visa application, we need a rental.
we are family living abroad, i am british and the 3 kids we have are british too. husband is algerian. we all plan to move back together. we apply through savings.
so we need something to rent.
no relative or friend has enough rooms to accomodate 5 people so we have to rent a 3bedr house of our own.

question: do you think it is possible to rent something without visiting? how can we rent something while we are away? is it true that we need to pre-pay 6 months? or i have to make the trip. we prefer to save the money for the relocation.
what would you suggest?
did anyone face such situation? and give me some tips?
thanks!!
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 8:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rental issue.renting while away

Why not just do a short term rental to start with i.e. an Air BnB? Then it'll meet the criteria, but also give you time to work out where you want to live and save you having to pay so much up front before moving.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

We thought of Airbnb or a serviced appartment but we have received contradictory opinions. Simr people say it will not work and we need a proper house. While others say and airbnb will be enough.

we are Not willing to take any risks so we prefer to rent a house.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djamila
We thought of Airbnb or a serviced appartment but we have received contradictory opinions. Simr people say it will not work and we need a proper house. While others say and airbnb will be enough.

we are Not willing to take any risks so we prefer to rent a house.
There have been numerous cases reported here of people using short-term/holiday accommodation successfully for their visa application.

You may find it a little difficult to rent a property on an AST prior to arriving. All you can do is approach estate agents and try. Just a warning, be very careful if you're thinking of renting a property on Gumtree or similar. There have been so many scams reported - people taking your money for a non-existent property or one that they don't own. There is no way of recovering your money in these circumstances.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

I know it is difficult and it is stressful that we are stuck on this point which might seem simple.

i can arrange to have my sister rent something for me (in my name) or i can eventually travel for 1 week to rent something.
have been tld that since i dont have a job, i might be asked to pay 6 months rent in advance.

i would have gone for a serviced appartment but most people telling us not to take the risk.. any one here can share their personal experience will be welcome!
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djamila
I know it is difficult and it is stressful that we are stuck on this point which might seem simple.

i can arrange to have my sister rent something for me (in my name) or i can eventually travel for 1 week to rent something.
have been tld that since i dont have a job, i might be asked to pay 6 months rent in advance.

i would have gone for a serviced appartment but most people telling us not to take the risk.. any one here can share their personal experience will be welcome!
Lots of people have shared their experience here in the past, and they were successful in their spouse visa applications using holiday/short term accommodation. However, it is of course up to you.
Re 6 months rent in advance, some have been asked to pay that, some haven't. As previously suggested, all you can do is contact estate agents in the area you want to live and have the conversation with them.