renewing long expired uk passport

Old Sep 27th 2020, 7:49 am
Just Joined

britexspot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renewing long expired uk passport

I'm a UK citizen living in the USA and my UK passport expired just over 2 years ago. I checked the UK gov website about renewing it and it states that you can renew from abroad if it has only "recently" expired.

Does anyone have any experience of renewing a long expired UK passport from the US or what timeframe "recently" actually refers to?

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th 2020, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing long expired uk passport

Have you actually been onto the passport renewal part? If you enter the date of expiry, it will tell you what you need to do. There was a discussion a while ago about this, and I think a passport needed to have expired many years before a different approach was required.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 1:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Two years is not a problem. It’s not likely to start being an issue until it has been expired for ten years or more.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Sep 27th 2020, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

britexspot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help guys, thats good to know. I just went on the gov.uk site and it says the below... I think that based on what the UK government says and that now I know the expiration period isn't a problem and that there's not really an option to visit the UK right now anyway, I'll just wait a while until better days.

"Passport applications and coronavirus (COVID-19)

!WarningNormal service standards are currently suspended. We cannot confirm when a passport will be received, or when documents provided in support of an application will be returned."