Registering and getting a passport for my son!

Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering and getting a passport for my son!

Originally Posted by bigmarvloyal
Yes, she was born in Canada. I guess that makes him Canadian by descent.
He's Canadian by descent. Note that this will impact the next generation if also born outside Canada.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

Here's what we are thinking now.

- Apply for Canadian citizenship and passport now.
He's already Canadian. So you don't apply for citizenship, but you do apply for evidence of citizenship (citizenship certificate). The problem is that this can take over a year to get. However, for young children in this situation, Canadian embassies may provide a temporary Canadian passport. Contact immediately the Canadian Embassy in South Korea.

- Once achieved, start process of getting him British citizenship and passport and cross any hurdles that come our way.

I guess the big question I have is this: Can I move back to the UK with my wife and son to live in the next year or two or am I now effectively locked out of my own country?
You could always sponsor him for a settlement visa, if he's not British. However, normally it is better to get British citizenship (even if it's by descent) as soon as possible. Others who decided to wait until later on found out that other things in life intervened and they never got the child citizenship, only finding out too late that the option had closed for some reason.

A stand-alone application for British citizenship should normally be processed within a few months. If he was stateless and/or has no other passport, you could ask for priority consideration.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:23 am
Just Joined

bigmarvloyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering and getting a passport for my son!

Originally Posted by JAJ
He's Canadian by descent. Note that this will impact the next generation if also born outside Canada.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

He's already Canadian. So you don't apply for citizenship, but you do apply for evidence of citizenship (citizenship certificate). The problem is that this can take over a year to get. However, for young children in this situation, Canadian embassies may provide a temporary Canadian passport. Contact immediately the Canadian Embassy in South Korea.

You could always sponsor him for a settlement visa, if he's not British. However, normally it is better to get British citizenship (even if it's by descent) as soon as possible. Others who decided to wait until later on found out that other things in life intervened and they never got the child citizenship, only finding out too late that the option had closed for some reason.

A stand-alone application for British citizenship should normally be processed within a few months. If he was stateless and/or has no other passport, you could ask for priority consideration.
Many thanks for your advice and answers!

We have been onto the Canadian embassy and they say we can apply for his proof of citizenship and passport at the same time as we are both foreign nationals living in Korea and need these documents to register him here.

Once we have that, we will look into getting him his British citizenship by descent which should be pretty straightforward, touch wood!

Many thanks!