Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Registering birth abroad with UK authorities ("British consular birth registration")

Registering birth abroad with UK authorities ("British consular birth registration")

Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:28 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering birth abroad with UK authorities ("British consular birth registration")

I'm finally considering registering my kids (all born several years ago and all carrying UK passports) for the sole purpose of having easier access to birth certificates later in life.

I've run into trouble though as in the checklist of documents it lists:

- the long version of the parent’s birth certificate showing the child’s grandparents’ details (for parents who were born in the UK)

Well, I was born in the UK but the only birth certificate I have is actually hand-written (from the 1970's) and doesn't include my grandparents' details. Have I just run into a brick wall here? I don't see why they want MY grandparents' details when I am a UK citizen born in the UK and there is no question as to my kids being British citizens (as mentioned they all have UK passports).
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering birth abroad with UK authorities ("British consular birth registratio

Originally Posted by astera
I'm finally considering registering my kids (all born several years ago and all carrying UK passports) for the sole purpose of having easier access to birth certificates later in life.

- the long version of the parent’s birth certificate showing the child’s grandparents’ details (for parents who were born in the UK)

Well, I was born in the UK but the only birth certificate I have is actually hand-written (from the 1970's) and doesn't include my grandparents' details. Have I just run into a brick wall here? I don't see why they want MY grandparents' details when I am a UK citizen born in the UK and there is no question as to my kids being British citizens (as mentioned they all have UK passports).
I have the hand written version one from 1975.
I sent off for the certified copy of this and used this. I believe this had my parents names on it though. Not sure about the hand written one. I can have a look when I get home.

I went to the UK embassy in Montevideo to register my son with the translated version of his local BC and my certified copy of my BC (sent from UK).
£150-175 !!!

I applied for my sons passport when I arrived back in the UK with his UK style embassy birth certificate (Montevideo/Uruguay) and my certified copy from online (10-15 pounds I think it was).

Last edited by alfista1; Nov 17th 2017 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering birth abroad with UK authorities ("British consular birth registratio

Sounds like you have the short version of your birth certificate. You'd need to get a copy of the long version before you go further. This will show your parents' details which is what they want.

They don't want to know about your grandparents, they want to know about your child's grandparents (i.e. the child who's birth you are registering), which is what your birth certificate will show.

Last edited by NickyC; Nov 17th 2017 at 9:32 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 10:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

Reread the requirement and you'll realise you've answered your own question.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:34 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
I have the hand written version one from 1975.
I sent off for the certified copy of this and used this. I believe this had my parents names on it though. Not sure about the hand written one. I can have a look when I get home.
Same here.

I just checked and what I have is a certified copy of a handwritten certificate. The certification dates back to 1985, with the date of the certification hand-written on the bottom.

Nowhere does it say whether it's the "short" or "long" version, but it has my parents' details obviously, so I guess these are the grandparents details that they're after and that this version (whatever it is) will suffice?

Just three more quick questions before I send everything off for processing:

1. Can the photocopies of the child's British passport and parents' passports be black&white copies?

2. Do they send all original documents (and the translations) back to you?

3. If you just pay for the registration (but don't need any certificates at this time - they will cost 1/5 of the price a year from now) will you get a confirmation letter of this and instructions on how to easily order the certificates in the future?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

1. I would recommend good quality, colour copies if at all possible.
2. Yes.
3. You should get a confirmation letter. Cheaper copies are available from the GRO website.

Quick question of my own; which country were your children born in and when?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:23 pm

Sorry for the late reply, sent you a PM.

Just one last question to anyone who has registered a child's birth abroad with UK authorities: does the UK-issued document come in handy anywhere apart from the UK? Could it be used in Commonwealth nations instead of the foreign birth certificate?