registered brit citizen..are my kids british?

Old May 3rd 2012, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

chunkylvr678 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default registered brit citizen..are my kids british?

hello,
i am a registered british citizen- obtained my citizenship about a year and a half ago through my mom..
i was born in the year 1982- which at the time, the law stated that my mom would not be able to pass her british citizenship to me through descent, hence i had to register.

i wanted to find out how my children would go about to becoming british citizens or if its possible to even do so. my son was born about 20 days ago, so he was born after i received my citizenship. if he cant become a citizen, is there any way for him to get permission to reside in the uk?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old May 4th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registered brit citizen..are my kids british?

Was your son born in the UK?
Old May 5th 2012, 10:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you were registered under section 4C of the British Nationality Act (look at your citizenship certificate) then you're British by descent.

If your son was born in the UK or a British territory, or if you have to be in Crown Service or designated equivalent, then he is British.

Otherwise, if you have lived in the United Kingdom, or plan to, it might be possible to get him citizenship that way.

Or if by some chance your British mother was born in Northern Ireland, you could register him as a Irish citizen. Or is there any chance he might be a citizen of another European country?

If none of the above apply then you could sponsor him to live in the United Kingdom while he is a child. If older, if the immigration rules are the same, then an ancestry visa would be an option if he is a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:28 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ. Can I pick your brains? I have 2 sons. Both have British passport by virtue of me. The eldest born 1982 had to be registered first under the British Nationality Act 1981. He has a cert. of registration. Apart from his personal details it just say's, cert no., Ref no., date 20/03/1986 and Section 3(1) British Citizen. What does this make him? British in his own right or as I assume, British by decent? Sorry if this seems a silly q that you have answered loads of times.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you were registered under section 4C of the British Nationality Act (look at your citizenship certificate) then you're British by descent.

If your son was born in the UK or a British territory, or if you have to be in Crown Service or designated equivalent, then he is British.

Otherwise, if you have lived in the United Kingdom, or plan to, it might be possible to get him citizenship that way.

Or if by some chance your British mother was born in Northern Ireland, you could register him as a Irish citizen. Or is there any chance he might be a citizen of another European country?

If none of the above apply then you could sponsor him to live in the United Kingdom while he is a child. If older, if the immigration rules are the same, then an ancestry visa would be an option if he is a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
My son was not born in the UK, but I do plan on moving to London if my son can obtain citizenship or the right to stay in the uk. Would it be better if I sponsor him or apply for a visa?
Thank you for ur help, uve been very helpful!
Old May 8th 2012, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chunkylvr678
My son was not born in the UK, but I do plan on moving to London if my son can obtain citizenship or the right to stay in the uk. Would it be better if I sponsor him or apply for a visa?
What's the child's nationality?

Generally, you will have to sponsor for a settlement visa, unless the child is EEA/Swiss. Start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
You can probably include child on spouse's visa application, you are presumably going to have to sponsor your spouse as well.

Once the child is in the United Kingdom for 3 years, you may be able to register child as British under section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ritishcitizen/ and in particular: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...livingintheuk/

Note that rules, laws, etc, are always subject to change.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ

Should I apply for his registration first? Or can I get his passport made directly? I I am current
Living in Saudi Arabia.
Thanks for your help
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by chunkylvr678
Should I apply for his registration first? Or can I get his passport made directly? I I am current
Living in Saudi Arabia.
Thanks for your help
You can't get a British passport unless you have acquired British citizenship. As to the rest, isn't it answered in post #6?