Question regarding passport application

Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:45 am
Just Joined

valeries is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding passport application

Hi, I am a very new member so please forgive me (and redirect me) if this is not the right place for my question.
I was born in Britain but emigrated to Canada with my parents when I was a child. I applied and received Canadian citizenship in 1958 when I was 14. I would like to apply for a British passport but I'm not sure how to go about it. I did go to the suggested site regarding passports but I'm not sure how to answer some questions. I don't think I ever had a British passport since I was so young. My father is deceased and my mother suffers from dementia so I can't ask her about their passports. I would like to get my passport primarily so my son can get one and so my husband and I can easily travel in Britain. I actually have to questions: 1. Is it worthwhile for me to try to get a passport. 2 Is it necessary for me to apply or can my son apply on his own by virtue of my being born in Britain.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding passport application

Were your parents British? If so:

You'll need your birth certificate. If you don't have it already : Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

Then follow the steps to apply for a first adult passport from overseas : https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Give us a shout if you get stuck

S
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. My parents were both British and I do have my original birth certificate so it seems fairly straight forward. I'm not so sure about getting one for my adult son but we will give it a try. Thanks again for your help. I wasn't sure where to start.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valeries
Thank you. My parents were both British and I do have my original birth certificate so it seems fairly straight forward. I'm not so sure about getting one for my adult son but we will give it a try. Thanks again for your help. I wasn't sure where to start.
What year was your son born?
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

He was born in Canada in 1978.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valeries
He was born in Canada in 1978.
Start by getting yourself sorted

Then, your son would *normally* be British by Descent, I *think*. More info here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother

S
Old Aug 26th 2014, 10:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need obtain a British passport in order for your son to apply for one.

However as your son was born before 1983 he would have not been British automatically at birth as the law at the time only allowed married British fathers to pass on their citizenship to children born overseas. Children born to British mothers before 1983 who are also Commonwealth citizens (i.e. Canadian) do however possess Right of Abode in the UK.

The law has now changed but the changes were not applied retrospectively. Therefore your son therefore has two routes to British citizenship. The cheapest and quickest way would be to apply for registration as a British citizen using Form UKM under Section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981. This application is free and only requires your son to make an application to the Home Office and then attend a citizenship ceremony at his local British consulate in order to became a British citizen (although the ceremony itself incurs a fee of £80). The downside of this option would only give him British citizenship by descent which means that any children born to him outside the UK would not be entitled to British citizenship.

The other option would be for him to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to Right of Abode to placed in his Canadian passport. This would not confer British citizenship but it would give him the same unrestricted right to live and work in the UK as any other British citizen. This would cost £289 if applied for from Canada. After five years of residence in the UK (three if married to a British spouse) then he would be entitled to naturalise as a British citizen. This currently costs £906. Although more costly and time-consuming this would give him British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning that his children would be British citizens regardless of their place of birth.

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 26th 2014 at 10:35 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 26th 2014, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much. That information is extremely helpful!!