Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Question about UK citizenship of Parents and therefore myself

Question about UK citizenship of Parents and therefore myself

Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Justy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about UK citizenship of Parents and therefore myself

Hi All, sorry to add to this discussion so late but im hoping you could help me out as well.

My father was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1945, both his parents were born in South Africa, he was a BPP and never gained Zambian nationality after '64. He did however move to SA to complete his matric and after some travelling settled in SA where He married my SA born mother.

Question1: on this link http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/3cg...tectorate.html - how accurate is this statement -

My father was born in Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia.

My mother was born in Cape Town, South Africa. She became a UK citizen when she married him.

My parents were married in Northern Rhodesia in 1959. They were living in Ndola, Northern Rhodesia when I was born.

No, neither of them lived in the UK subsequent to my birth.

Question2: I was born in 1982,my brother in 1985 in SA. Is there any possibility that one of us could apply for some from of UK passport?

Any help would be much appreciated
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about UK citizenship of Parents and therefore myself

Originally Posted by Justy85
My mother was born in Cape Town, South Africa. She became a UK citizen when she married him.
I've never read before about someone becoming a UK citizen because they married. Are you sure about this?

You might find this page in the wiki useful: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Hi, the statement under my first question doesnt come from me, it comes from the link i posted with it - I also doubt how true it is...

The second question applies to myself and my situation.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I've never read before about someone becoming a UK citizen because they married.
Not since 1949, before which a woman marrying a British man gained British citizenship.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:04 am
Just Joined

How does being born in Northern Rhodesia make her father a british citizen?..He would have been a BPP but that wouldnt have given him citizenship
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

How does being born in Northern Rhodesia make her father a british citizen?..He would have been a BPP but that wouldnt have given him citizenship
Did the wiki link I provided in post 2 help?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, sorry to add to this discussion so late but im hoping you could help me out as well.

My father was born in Northern Rhodesia in 1945, both his parents were born in South Africa, he was a BPP and never gained Zambian nationality after '64. He did however move to SA to complete his matric and after some travelling settled in SA where He married my SA born mother.

Anything related to Northern Rhodesia and protectorates is problematic, however here are my thoughts (which should be validated with a U.K. immigration solicitor):

1. Father was born in a protectorate before 1949 with a father born in a Dominion (South Africa) => father was a British subject by birth.

2. On 1.1.49, father became a Citizen of the UK & Colonies based on being a British subject born in a protectorate. He probably also became a South African citizen later in 1949.

3. Assuming no loss of CUKC when Zambia became independent (unlikely) then the father retained CUKC. The original poster, born in 1982, probably became a CUKC by descent.

4. HOWEVER, unless there are ties to the U.K. or a continuing colony (descent from parents or grandparents, residence in Britain before 1983, adoption or for women, marriage to British men before 1983), a CUKC became a British Overseas citizen on 1.1.1983. This does not carry a right of abode in the United Kingdom.