Proof of living together

Old Nov 24th 2018, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Nivek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of living together

I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. We want to return to the UK to live, we've been married and lived together for over 30 years.
I saw a document that states we have to show we've been living together for the last two years but on another forum someone is telling me I need to show receipts and tax returns for the last 31 years. That sounds like an impossible task, who keeps records that long , I know I don't.
Anyone else got a point of view on this subject or had a similar experience ?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 11:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of living together

Originally Posted by Nivek
I am a UK citizen married to a US citizen. We want to return to the UK to live, we've been married and lived together for over 30 years.
I saw a document that states we have to show we've been living together for the last two years but on another forum someone is telling me I need to show receipts and tax returns for the last 31 years. That sounds like an impossible task, who keeps records that long , I know I don't.
Anyone else got a point of view on this subject or had a similar experience ?
You certainly don't need to provide tax returns and receipts for 31 years in order to prove your relationship status! Your marriage certificate is the most important bit of evidence to provide, also include a couple of pieces of correspondence addressed to you both or to each of you at the same address, for the last 2 or 3 years. These provide evidence that you share the same home. Best if these are letters from government departments, utility providers, anything 'official'.

Are you ok with your understanding of how to meet and evidence the financial requirement?
Old Nov 25th 2018, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You certainly don't need to provide tax returns and receipts for 31 years in order to prove your relationship status! Your marriage certificate is the most important bit of evidence to provide, also include a couple of pieces of correspondence addressed to you both or to each of you at the same address, for the last 2 or 3 years. These provide evidence that you share the same home. Best if these are letters from government departments, utility providers, anything 'official'.

Are you ok with your understanding of how to meet and evidence the financial requirement?
Thanks , that's what I thought. And yes I do understand the financial requirements, I've read the documentation and we know what to do. It was just proving the marriage isn't a sham. I thought it was ridiculous to expect to keep utility bills and letters for 31 years !
Thanks for your help
Colin
Old Nov 25th 2018, 12:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks , that's what I thought. And yes I do understand the financial requirements, I've read the documentation and we know what to do. It was just proving the marriage isn't a sham. I thought it was ridiculous to expect to keep utility bills and letters for 31 years !
Thanks for your help
Colin
You're welcome Colin. Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your wife.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 12:38 am
Just Joined

orange108 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello! relevant supporting documents also include showing joint commitments, such as joint bank tenancy agreements, joint investments, joint mortgage accounts etc.
in our case, we provided joint rental contract, joint bank statements, family health insurance, correspondence in joint names (council letters, utility bills, etc - spread over the 2 years prior to the date of application), birth certs of our kids and a few annonated family photos.
good luck with your application!
Old Nov 25th 2018, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by orange108
hello! relevant supporting documents also include showing joint commitments, such as joint bank tenancy agreements, joint investments, joint mortgage accounts etc.
in our case, we provided joint rental contract, joint bank statements, family health insurance, correspondence in joint names (council letters, utility bills, etc - spread over the 2 years prior to the date of application), birth certs of our kids and a few annonated family photos.
good luck with your application!
Just curious , how long were you married before you applied for a visa ?
Old Nov 25th 2018, 1:03 am
Just Joined

orange108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious , how long were you married before you applied for a visa ?
11 years - when i lodged the visa application
Old Nov 25th 2018, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by orange108
11 years - when i lodged the visa application
Thanks for your input, I need all the help I can get.
Cheers
Colin