Proof of address in the UK?

Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hangzhouguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of address in the UK?

Can anyone offer any help on how my Chinese wife can get something with her name and address on it? We are living with my parents so obviously all bills, mortgage agreements are in their name. However, she can't get added onto my bank account or have her DBS check without something with her name & address on it at our current address.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 3:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of address in the UK?

Join a library.
Register at a doctor?
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

dreamcast69 is an unknown quantity at this point

If she needs a bank account try Lloyds-tsb I moved back here in june from Canada and had no proof of address.
All Lloyds-Tsb wanted was my passport.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

cell/mobile phone account

Dentist

Join a fitness club

first step drivers licence
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Letter from HMRC. You don't have to be "settled" or anything special to pay taxes!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Unfortunately the bank are very picky and can only accept:
council tax bill
utility bill
telephone bill (not mobile)
sky bill
credit card bill
bank statement
mortgage statement
tenancy agreement
or HMRC tax notification.

So as you can see for a couple who are living with my parents this rules out most of them and we're trying to get a bank account now so that rules out the rest! I've applied with Lloyds TSB so will update on whether that's successful.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

council tax bill
utility bill
sky bill
credit card bill
bank statement
mortgage statement
tenancy agreement

So as you can see for a couple who are living with my parents this rules out most of them and we're trying to get a bank account now so that rules out the rest! I've applied with Lloyds TSB so will update on whether that's successful.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamcast69
If she needs a bank account try Lloyds-tsb I moved back here in june from Canada and had no proof of address.
All Lloyds-Tsb wanted was my passport.
Same here. I was added to my husband's account the morning after I arrived. Lloyds were happy for him to vouch for me and the change was made immediately. If your wife is not a British citizen, it probably wouldn't hurt to take along your marriage certificate.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangzhouguy

council tax bill
utility bill
sky bill
credit card bill
bank statement
mortgage statement
tenancy agreement

There is a type of bank account called a "basic" account or something like that, that does not require proof of address. It is a bit restrictive but might be a place to start if you are mainly looking for a bank account to hold your money and be able to withdraw money from.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

council tax bill
utility bill
sky bill
credit card bill
bank statement
mortgage statement
tenancy agreement

So how would anyone living with their parents ever get a bank account/credit card.
Answer - they couldn't.

But they do, so obviously a bank must accept something else.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

what about a drivers licence, even if it was provisional licence?
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:11 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Some banks are picky, one ridiculous one told us we would have to wait 3 years to have spouse added to my account!!
Our Council Tax office was great just added his name to the bill and that was great for the other bank!! There would be nothing wrong with adding her to the council tax bill very straightforward and quick, can be done while you wait.

nationwide in fact happy to open a bank account with nothing but the passport marriage cert and my proof of address, found out later!!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

I spoke to the local council and they very helpfully informed me that she didn't need to be added to the bill as it was my parents place. Even after we had explained why we needed it.

Will try the banks. Thanks again peeps :-)
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
what about a drivers licence, even if it was provisional licence?
Not on the list. Think hsbc are unnecessarily strict. So much for the worlds local bank.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:37 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Not on the list. Think hsbc are unnecessarily strict. So much for the worlds local bank.
Maybe that's because they have been rumbled and have the dubious record of being the world's largest money laundering bank !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.