Passport retention/travel during application process

Old Jul 27th 2017, 2:49 pm
Down & Safe

Avon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport retention/travel during application process

Hi everyone,

Brief background, my wife (Canadian) & I (British), along with our 3 children (dual) are gearing up for an application in the next 8-9 months. We're visiting my parents in the UK over Christmas, flights have been booked for a while. Our original plan has been to put our house up for sale in the new year, & once we have a confirmed buyer start the application process; moving into temporary accommodation as a stopgap if necessary.
It has occurred to us that we could use the flights booked at Christmas to move, i.e. put an application in at the end of August, requesting an arrival date of the end of November (3 months, with 30 day entry visa covering our flight departure at end of Dec). VFS Global would retain the passport at the biometric appointment. Assuming it takes 3 months, as things seem to these days, that would allow an extra month for delays; I would make a trip back in the new year to empty/sell the house, vehicles etc. I guess the worry would be if we hadn't got the visa before our flights were booked... is there a way to get the passport back? I'm thinking probably not, but if anyone knows the answer to this would be grateful if they would share.
Of course there's also the outside chance it could arrive early, in which case we could either request a new vignette or make a short trip to "stamp the visa" & collect the card from the post office.

An added advantage to the early move option would be only required to move once, no rent expenses, temporarily redirecting mail etc

I'm thinking it's probably safer & less stressful to stick with our original plan, but at the very least would like to eliminate the other option from my mind so I'm no longer thinking of it lol
Of course, if it's a viable option, that's another story

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thank you
Old Jul 28th 2017, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport retention/travel during application process

Originally Posted by Avon81
Hi everyone,

Brief background, my wife (Canadian) & I (British), along with our 3 children (dual) are gearing up for an application in the next 8-9 months. We're visiting my parents in the UK over Christmas, flights have been booked for a while. Our original plan has been to put our house up for sale in the new year, & once we have a confirmed buyer start the application process; moving into temporary accommodation as a stopgap if necessary.
It has occurred to us that we could use the flights booked at Christmas to move, i.e. put an application in at the end of August, requesting an arrival date of the end of November (3 months, with 30 day entry visa covering our flight departure at end of Dec). VFS Global would retain the passport at the biometric appointment. Assuming it takes 3 months, as things seem to these days, that would allow an extra month for delays; I would make a trip back in the new year to empty/sell the house, vehicles etc. I guess the worry would be if we hadn't got the visa before our flights were booked... is there a way to get the passport back? I'm thinking probably not, but if anyone knows the answer to this would be grateful if they would share.
Of course there's also the outside chance it could arrive early, in which case we could either request a new vignette or make a short trip to "stamp the visa" & collect the card from the post office.

An added advantage to the early move option would be only required to move once, no rent expenses, temporarily redirecting mail etc

I'm thinking it's probably safer & less stressful to stick with our original plan, but at the very least would like to eliminate the other option from my mind so I'm no longer thinking of it lol
Of course, if it's a viable option, that's another story

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thank you
As far as I am aware you cannot get the passport back without pulling the application. hopefully by the time you apply the delays in processing may be less . Just ensure the application is 100 % correct and has all the necessary evidence so no hold ups!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:36 pm
Down & Safe

Avon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Angie.

Yes, that's what I thought. We have much to consider right now......
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully by then if you go priority it will be weeks not months. I wish you luck!
Old Jul 28th 2017, 4:55 pm
Down & Safe

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Hopefully by then if you go priority it will be weeks not months. I wish you luck!
Thanks LondonSquirrel!
I hope so too. Then there's the complication of the (now very favourable) exchange rate changing, renting a place & moving twice etc but if I really think about it for too long it'd drive me crazy. It is what it is, & we just have to focus on one step at a time (or so I keep telling myself)!