Passport expiring

Old Nov 20th 2019, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport expiring

Hi folks
my British passport expires next May.
now I’ve just been told that I need to have six months validation on it for travelling in the states.
I leave Windsor catch a plane in Detroit for Arizona for two weeks.
i leave on 20 January.
should I be getting it renewed right now.
any information would be awesome.
and any links how to renew my passport on line would also be really appreciated.
thanks a million guys
cheers
rob
Old Nov 20th 2019, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

namsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport expiring

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I had mine renewed when I lived overseas, and I used this method.
I'd advise also to speak to the US embassy or consulate and find out if this fits in their window.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Check the part about passport validity
Old Nov 20th 2019, 12:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

From the most recent 6 month club update, UK is listed as a country that doesn't need 6 month validity on the passport, and this UK government website says the same.

"Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid for their intended period of stay."

"Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this."
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yakkiebush
Hi folks
my British passport expires next May.
now I’ve just been told that I need to have six months validation on it for travelling in the states.

rob

Who told you that you need 6 months validation left on the passport? The UK is part of the Visa Waiver Programme and UK citizens are allowed visits to the USA for up to 90 days without a visa. Ask this person do they have a link where it specifies that the person must have 6 months validity left on the passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/visa-waiver-program-requirements
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you folks for the replies.
it was a couple of older Canadian ladies that told me the six month story Henderson the panic
so I should be good till the 5th February then?.
i plan on renewing my passport online with my iPad .
Im led to believe that I don’t have to send in my old one.
is that right folks?.
once again folks for all my daft questions.
i don’t know any other brits around here to ask.and I sometimes get confused with the government sites
cheers
Rob
Old Nov 20th 2019, 6:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You don’t need to have six months validity left to visit the US; your passport just needs to be valid for your proposed length of stay. You will need to send your old British passport to HMPO when you apply to renew it; it will be returned to you.