Is the Partner Visa the only way into the UK

Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Kiwis4Now is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is the Partner Visa the only way into the UK

This is my first post and after reading the numerous other posts feel this forum is where all our questions will be answered and plenty of wonderful advice will be shared with us in preparation for our next journey – relocating to the UK in 2013.

I am a New Zealand citizen (as are the children and wife). Although we have lived in New Zealand for over 7 years now, the family just can’t seem to settle down and are yearning for all the close family back in the UK, so we have decided for the sake of the children and all round contentment to move to the UK.

My wife was born in the UK and both our children (ages 10 and 17) have British passports.
I understand that I need to apply for the “Partner Visa” to enable me to enter the UK and work, with my wife being my sponsor.

So many questions any advice will be helpful:
1. Can my wife sponsor me even though she has not lived in the UK for the past 25 years?
2. Can my wife sponsor me even though she has no job in the UK (yet)? (She wants to be a stay-at-home mum for a while first)
3. I don’t have a job offer in the UK – I intend to continue as a contracting Business Analyst, working for myself – or should I first get a job offer in a permanent role before applying?
4. Does my wife need to also sponsor the children (they both have British passports) or do they automatically gain entry to the UK? Along with the ability to attend school, university and work.
5. The entry requirements on www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk are easily met – except the “Financial Requirements” due to us not having any UK jobs yet. We will however, be able to bring at least 30,000 pounds with to pay our way for at least the first 6 months until I find work.
6. If the Partner Visa is approved, how soon after approval do we need to be in the UK? (that is, is there a time limit in which to take up the offer before it lapses?)
7. Do I need to include all the children in my application – the eldest turns 18 in December – would she have to also apply to settle in her own right or is this not necessary as she has a British passport - does she automatically gain full entry without visas or applications?

If someone else has been through a similar transition, any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I currently think the first step is for me to get that “partner visa” application in. Once that is approved we can make plans for packing up and moving over. Finding a house and job would be next priorities – all those questions to follow
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Partner Visa the only way into the UK

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...m-eea-regs.pdf

Theres a whole long post about the new requirements in the green shaded are at the top of this section.
You wife has to meet the financial requirements to sponsor you, your children don't need a sponsor and as they are UK citizens, they can just tun up and take up residence by entering on their UK passports, they don't count on the financial requirements, so she has to show income of 18,000 GBP per year for sponsoring you only or savings that you have had for the 6 months prior to the move, of something like 64,000 GBP

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 11th 2012 at 4:41 am.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,
No,
See answer to point 2
No,
That's about 34000 short
You'll need to extend it after 2.5 years
Yes
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Don't suppose you have a UK born parent or grandparent? An ancestry visa is an easier first option. Good luck!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Is the Partner Visa the only way into the UK

Originally Posted by quoll
Don't suppose you have a UK born parent or grandparent? An ancestry visa is an easier first option. Good luck!
No I wish - that would be the quick answer to the issue
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the information. The UKBA website is a little vague but I just came across the comprehensive Financial Requirements (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary) that spells it out exactly as you have summarised. So yes, she needs to get a job paying 18,000+ PLUS we need to have 17,500 in savings. OR we need 64,500 in savings with no jobs/income.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwis4Now
Thanks so much for the information. The UKBA website is a little vague but I just came across the comprehensive Financial Requirements (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary) that spells it out exactly as you have summarised. So yes, she needs to get a job paying 18,000+ PLUS we need to have 17,500 in savings. OR we need 64,500 in savings with no jobs/income.
Did you see this bit? You are the Applicants partner. If you had a job offer earning more than £18,000 you would be all covered from the sound of it.

Where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work
In addition, where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work, the partner must have confirmed salaried employment to return to in the UK (starting within 3 months of their return). This must have an annual starting salary sufficient to meet the financial requirement applicable to the application, alone or in combination with any or all of the items in 5.3.1.