off topic..travelling in europe w/o passport!

Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: off topic..travelling in europe w/o passport!

Originally Posted by Eric S.
I have crossed the following borders in the past year or two, without even stopping at the border: Spain-Portugal, Spain-France, France-Italy.
That you weren't stopped doesn't mean you never WILL be stopped, and that you weren't meant to at least CARRY your passport. Also, if you are in any EU country (not at the border) you could get pulled over and be required to show your passport. This goes for both EU and non-EU citizens, and this is actually what happens a lot: you'll get checked in the area some 10 odd miles into either country.

CPW, you are absolutely correct.

Elaine
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CPW
For all practical purposes, he will need a passport to enter the UK from anywhere except Ireland (which, with the UK, forms part of a common travel area). The UK and Ireland are not part of the Schengen travel area, so any provisions regarding travel that might apply there do not apply to the UK or Ireland.

Passport-free travel within the Schengen area really relates to the lack of routine border controls. It doesn't always mean that a passport (or, for certain European Union nationalities, a national identity card instead of a passport) is not needed by people making trips between the Schengen countries. For example, airlines may well ask to see a passport or national ID card when passengers are checking in, as may hotels when guests arrive (hotels in many European countries are required to register all guests with the local police). Forms of military ID might or might not be accepted in lieu of a passport in some circumstances, but for all ordinary, non-military travel he's going to have trouble without a valid passport, I fear. The exception, presumably, would be day trips across country borders in the Schengen area, although even here many European countries do require visitors to have a valid passport with them, even if it is not checked on entry to the country.
Hi:

The NATO SOFA may be applicable. I don't know the details -- but US Immigration Law has special dispensations for NATO personel. The question would be best directed to the JAG people.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
Also, if you are in any EU country (not at the border) you could get pulled over and be required to show your passport.

Elaine
Wow! You mean that all citizens of EU countries must have a passport? Or do you just mean that all citizens must carry some form of id (like the one CPW mentioned)? If they're required to carry passports, that just seems so strange to me coming from the US (where only like 10% of the citizens have passports). Just goes to show the differences in the laws.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:27 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Wow! You mean that all citizens of EU countries must have a passport? Or do you just mean that all citizens must carry some form of id (like the one CPW mentioned)? If they're required to carry passports, that just seems so strange to me coming from the US (where only like 10% of the citizens have passports). Just goes to show the differences in the laws.
Is not the law ,,, the only way someone would need their passport would be as a form of ID if traveling outside their home country. Remember Europe is not like the US where each area is a state, Europe is all seperate countries and so to travel sometimes small distances you are entering another country.

As far as crossing borders in EU countries, if you take the train from Holland into Belgium there is ABSOLUTELY no border checks, the train travels as if it were in the same country.

As far as my recollection goes, Ireland would have no problems either of traveling within the entire EU without a passport EXCEPT at the time Britain did not want it and so because of the location of Ireland it was also deemed if Britain did not accept it then Irish would also need to present passports on entering "mainland Europe" .

It would be a very false statement to say all Europeans have passports.

Patrick
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
No he did pay...but he was paying her without any order...and he was supporting his son...but he didn't get any reciepts...he didn't think he would need them...but she got pissy and was jealous of him getting remarried and then decided to take him to court..and lied about what he had already paid....he wasn't there to reply he was in a different state at the time of the hearing...so next thing he knew...a whopping bill for $15,000!!

No receipts means he didn't claim it on his taxes? He paid her cash, not by check? I'm sorry, not my business but it's just that I know my ex was able to deduct alimony he paid to me (he didn't have to pay child support) off his taxes, BUT I did have to pay tax on it.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cindyabs
No receipts means he didn't claim it on his taxes? He paid her cash, not by check? I'm sorry, not my business but it's just that I know my ex was able to deduct alimony he paid to me (he didn't have to pay child support) off his taxes, BUT I did have to pay tax on it.
Yep...but here's the stinger...the total amounts were put into a 'lumped' together amount...soooo...he has no proof that any of the payments he currently makes (let alone the ones he has being paying for years) are partially alimony (alimony has stopped as she has remarried), so he has never been able to claim the alimony payments on his tax returns...I did look into trying to find some sort of proof of the alimony (apart from the original order) but nobody anywhere seems to have it..including the courts..another thing, although we know the alimony has stopped (the arrears are going down!) there is no order at the courthouse stating the alimony has been stopped...whats up with that??
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep...but here's the stinger...the total amounts were put into a 'lumped' together amount...soooo...he has no proof that any of the payments he currently makes (let alone the ones he has being paying for years) are partially alimony (alimony has stopped as she has remarried), so he has never been able to claim the alimony payments on his tax returns...I did look into trying to find some sort of proof of the alimony (apart from the original order) but nobody anywhere seems to have it..including the courts..another thing, although we know the alimony has stopped (the arrears are going down!) there is no order at the courthouse stating the alimony has been stopped...whats up with that??
If he's in the military I'd be talking to JAG about that one too....
Who gets the right to claim his child(ren) on tax return, him or her?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cindyabs
If he's in the military I'd be talking to JAG about that one too....
Who gets the right to claim his child(ren) on tax return, him or her?
there was never anything in the divorce or alimony/child support papers that stated who got to claim for the tax relief...my husband has never claimed his child on any tax return (since the divorce) but this really bites me...as a none usc (so far) I have not filed any tax returns, and all my husbands tax returns are intercepted by child support (which is fine as it is just paying a bill as far as I am concerned), what bothers me is that she gets the earned income credit for our son, as well as her child...isn't this 'credit' for the child not the 'tax payer'...so she gets hers and we get none!!

I think we should be able to claim him on our taxes...it's not like it will make a difference to her, as she gets the money anyway, and my husband has to support his child, so in reality he should be able to claim, and it would help the arrears come down a little faster at our end...and she wouldn't be any worse off.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:10 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

there was never anything in the divorce or alimony/child support papers that stated who got to claim for the tax relief...my husband has never claimed his child on any tax return (since the divorce) but this really bites me...as a none usc (so far) I have not filed any tax returns, and all my husbands tax returns are intercepted by child support (which is fine as it is just paying a bill as far as I am concerned), what bothers me is that she gets the earned income credit for our son, as well as her child...isn't this 'credit' for the child not the 'tax payer'...so she gets hers and we get none!!

I think we should be able to claim him on our taxes...it's not like it will make a difference to her, as she gets the money anyway, and my husband has to support his child, so in reality he should be able to claim, and it would help the arrears come down a little faster at our end...and she wouldn't be any worse off.
I thought that the child normally gets claimed on the Taxes of whomever the child lives with? Do you have joint physical custody? If not I think she gets the tax credit. Also earned income credit normally only applies to lower income, do you earn little enough to claim that credit?

Patrick
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:11 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

No he did pay...but he was paying her without any order...and he was supporting his son...but he didn't get any reciepts...he didn't think he would need them...but she got pissy and was jealous of him getting remarried and then decided to take him to court..and lied about what he had already paid....he wasn't there to reply he was in a different state at the time of the hearing...so next thing he knew...a whopping bill for $15,000!!
:scared: Holy macarroni!!
I am sorry to hear that, hope you get the help you need!
Take care!!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:14 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
I thought that the child normally gets claimed on the Taxes of whomever the child lives with? Do you have joint physical custody? If not I think she gets the tax credit. Also earned income credit normally only applies to lower income, do you earn little enough to claim that credit?

Patrick
I don't think so Patrick. Mark and his ex take turns, the kids live with her
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by inquisitive40

Patrick
I know a few different couples that the child(ren) live solely with one parent, and they take turns with their ex-spouse claiming the kids on the tax returns...or if there is more than one child they 'split' them each year...

and it depends on what you mean by lower income...my husbands income was around 22k last time and he qualified for EIC...and around these parts 22k is a pretty good income...infact if you get more than 16k a year you are considered lucky!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:31 am
Andrew DeFaria

cindyabs wrote:

>> No he did pay...but he was paying her without any order...and he was
    >> supporting his son...but he didn't get any reciepts...he didn't think
    >> he would need them...but she got pissy and was jealous of him getting
    >> remarried and then decided to take him to court..and lied about what
    >> he had already paid....he wasn't there to reply he was in a different
    >> state at the time of the hearing...so next thing he knew...a whopping
    >> bill for $15,000!!
    > No receipts means he didn't claim it on his taxes? He paid her cash,
    > not by check? I'm sorry, not my business but it's just that I know my
    > ex was able to deduct alimony he paid to me (he didn't have to pay
    > child support) off his taxes, BUT I did have to pay tax on it.

If you read carefully she said that it was child support, thus it is not
deductible.

(Never understood this really. If a husband and wife have one child and
the wife has the child 70% of the time and the husband has the child for
30% of the time then why isn't the wife allowed 70% of the deduction and
the husband 30%. After all that would be fair. The husband sill needs to
provide food and shelter for their child 30% of the time which means he
usually will need to look for at least a 2 bedroom place instead of a 1
bedroom place).

--
Hermits have no peer pressure.

Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:53 am
Andrew DeFaria

hopelessinks wrote:

> I know a few different couples that the child(ren) live solely with
    > one parent, and they take turns with their ex-spouse claiming the kids
    > on the tax returns...or if there is more than one child they 'split'
    > them each year...

Again, with the proper consent forms.

> and it depends on what you mean by lower income...my husbands income
    > was around 22k last time and he qualified for EIC...and around these
    > parts 22k is a pretty good income...infact if you get more than 16k a
    > year you are considered lucky!

Where might that be? 'Cause for a family of 3 the poverty level is
$15,670 (http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/04poverty.shtml) and $22k ain't
that far from that. Hell I was making more than that by the time I as
20! Where I live you couldn't survive on that!

--
You can't have everything...Where would you put it?

Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:00 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Andrew DeFaria
cindyabs wrote:

>> No he did pay...but he was paying her without any order...and he was
    >> supporting his son...but he didn't get any reciepts...he didn't think
    >> he would need them...but she got pissy and was jealous of him getting
    >> remarried and then decided to take him to court..and lied about what
    >> he had already paid....he wasn't there to reply he was in a different
    >> state at the time of the hearing...so next thing he knew...a whopping
    >> bill for $15,000!!
    > No receipts means he didn't claim it on his taxes? He paid her cash,
    > not by check? I'm sorry, not my business but it's just that I know my
    > ex was able to deduct alimony he paid to me (he didn't have to pay
    > child support) off his taxes, BUT I did have to pay tax on it.

If you read carefully she said that it was child support, thus it is not
deductible.

(Never understood this really. If a husband and wife have one child and
the wife has the child 70% of the time and the husband has the child for
30% of the time then why isn't the wife allowed 70% of the deduction and
the husband 30%. After all that would be fair. The husband sill needs to
provide food and shelter for their child 30% of the time which means he
usually will need to look for at least a 2 bedroom place instead of a 1
bedroom place).

--
Hermits have no peer pressure.

Andrew
Reading carefully from this post of the OP is why I addressed that one as I did. I can, from personal experience, touch on the alimony issue. In my divorce decree, my ex was able to claim our son on his taxes, although our son was 19 at the time and in college.

The OP's post:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.