Obtaining Citizenship based on English Parents

Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

TheodoricN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining Citizenship based on English Parents

Both my parent were British Subjects. I am not sure if they were nationalized, but I presume they were. They were both born in Poland. My grandfather fought for the English. After the war my father came over with him. Same story with my mom. Both carried British Passport. Both moved to Canada where I was born in 1979, but neither ever became Canadian. Proud Brits.

I've met a girl who lives in England and I'm hope to move to Bournemouth in September. Can I obtain citizenship so as to work based on my decent? I graduated from Law School in Canada and I can't even wade my way through thr website. Help is much appreciated!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining Citizenship based on English Parents

You must mean that they were Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies.

If they were naturalised, have you got any evidence of that? Passports? Home Office certificates of naturalisation?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:19 am
Just Joined

In 1969 my mother was registered as a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies according to the British Nationality Act 1948, Section 6(2). On that document it states my father was a citizen by virtue of Naturalisation. I have the registration document for my mother and old passports for both. I could probably find stuff for my father, but I'd have to do some more poking around the house...

I'm hoping this is good?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheodoricN
In 1969 my mother was registered as a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies according to the British Nationality Act 1948, Section 6(2). On that document it states my father was a citizen by virtue of Naturalisation. I have the registration document for my mother and old passports for both. I could probably find stuff for my father, but I'd have to do some more poking around the house...

I'm hoping this is good?
If you're to prove you're automatically British, then it would be best if you can find your father's naturalisation certificate. If it's lost you may be able to get a copy from the Home Office or the National Archives.

Once you find that, you can apply for a British passport as it would prove you're British by descent.

You may have to send off original documents as part of a British passport application. If you do have to, then to protect against risk of loss:

- only send originals that are absolutely necessary. Secondary documentation should be copies.
- make certified copies in advance
- use courier (both to send and prepaid envelope for return).

Have you ever investigated whether you may be a Polish citizen too?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

So if both my parents are British then I'm automatically entitled to British Citzenship by decent? Do you know of where on the UK border agency webpage I would apply and under which category? I've poked through all the categories here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...licationtypes/

All the one I looked at indicated that I had to be registered when I was younger or have applied before I was 18. Does this make a difference? Even from following footy transfers, though, I thought I could become British if both my parents were... I just wish I could find the government application that describes my circumstance.

I don't think I qualify as Polish, as my father renounced his Polish citizenship when it was communist...

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

My father renouced his Polish citzenship because the country was communist at the time, so that's probably a no go!

I thought I could apply based on decent, the only thing is I can't find the category under which I would apply! On the website for the UK Border Agency I can't find an application other than one which would have required me to have been registered shourtly after my birth or to apply before I turned 18. Now that I'm almost 29, do I still qualify? http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...licationtypes/

I just wish I could find the proper application!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by TheodoricN
So if both my parents are British then I'm automatically entitled to British Citzenship by decent? Do you know of where on the UK border agency webpage I would apply and under which category? I've poked through all the categories here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...licationtypes/
If your father is naturalised British before you were born and your parents were married, then you are automatically British.

So you don't need to apply for it. Just apply for a British passport, once you find proof of his naturalisation.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Td0t will become famous soon enoughTd0t will become famous soon enough

I'm Canadian of British decent as well. I too was frustrated when I started investigating my citizenship eligibility on the UK Border/Immigration site.

Eligibility wasn't clear until I found the pages on the UK high commission site.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passpor...ents-required/

We can't apply in Canada anymore. Just keep in mind that the Passport Production Centre in Washington takes about 6 weeks.