Obama Care Penalties Split Years US/UK

Old Oct 8th 2016, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obama Care Penalties Split Years US/UK

Hi

I am trying to establish what I need to do when its time to file my 2016 US tax return in relation to health insurance questions.

My circumstances are that I had an employee health insurance plan that was cancelled Jan 31st 2016 (I left employment).
I had no insurance for the entire month of Feb 2016.
Re stablished a private health insurance plan starting in March 2016.
Left the USA to take up residence in the UK mid May 2016 and so cancelled my US private plan.

Obviously since resident in the UK I fall under the National Health plan (I am dual UK/US citizen).

Therefore, my time as resident in the US during 2016 I was without private health care for exactly 1 month.

I am concerned that when I complete my online tax form it may look like that I have not had health care for a total of 8 months during 2016.

Hopefully I will not be liable to any penalties but how do I prove this? Are there any additional forms or certificates I need to complete?

I have been using Turbo Tax for the last few years in the US so I am hoping I can continue using TurboTax here in the UK and it will default to my UK address.

Any advice what I need to do would be welcome. There must be scores of others in similar positions.

Last edited by bobbyleo; Oct 8th 2016 at 5:55 am.