Newbie from SA - Questions about moving to the UK

Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Landyd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie from SA - Questions about moving to the UK

Hi All

I was born in SA but am fortunate to have British Citizenship through descent (both parents born in the UK).

My parents went back to the UK in the late 1990's and thankfully too. Without going into too much detail, Mum is in a five star care home and we do not expect her to live much longer. Dad's health is failing too, and he is battling on his own. I am considering going over to the UK for an indefinite period to assist my parents, and particularly my Dad, once he is on his own.

Would anyone be able to help me with the following questions:

1. If I do go, how would I justify the indefinite period to the authorities?
2. I would take my one son, who is almost 6, but only has SA citizenship. How would this be viewed once the 6 months is up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie from SA - Questions about moving to the UK

Hi Landyd1,

Welcome to BritishExpats. I hope you enjoy being a member of our community.

I've moved your thread from the Welcome Inn to our Moving Back to the UK forum for you. I know we have other members, like yourself, who are moving to the UK from SA so I'm sure someone will be along soon with some tips to share.

Welcome again.

Sue
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

do y ou have your british passport? if so , then the authorities wont even ask you how long you are gonna be there for, when you land theyd just ask for your passport, then hand it back and you would be on your way , so the indefinite period as far as you are concerned is irrelevant...your son on the other hand is a different story....
i assume that you would need to get him a visa to move to the UK with you , this page might be able to answer some of your questions with regards to that , but i think it also depends on the childs other parent, their status and how they are involved in the childs life/custody etc
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tled/children/
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paulpur
do y ou have your british passport? if so , then the authorities wont even ask you how long you are gonna be there for, when you land theyd just ask for your passport, then hand it back and you would be on your way , so the indefinite period as far as you are concerned is irrelevant...your son on the other hand is a different story....
i assume that you would need to get him a visa to move to the UK with you , this page might be able to answer some of your questions with regards to that , but i think it also depends on the childs other parent, their status and how they are involved in the childs life/custody etc
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tled/children/
Thanks for that Paulpur, permission will be no problem from my husband. My concern is that my son would have to return to SA after the six months and we would have to reapply.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Landyd1
Hi All

I was born in SA but am fortunate to have British Citizenship through descent (both parents born in the UK).

My parents went back to the UK in the late 1990's and thankfully too. Without going into too much detail, Mum is in a five star care home and we do not expect her to live much longer. Dad's health is failing too, and he is battling on his own. I am considering going over to the UK for an indefinite period to assist my parents, and particularly my Dad, once he is on his own.

Would anyone be able to help me with the following questions:

1. If I do go, how would I justify the indefinite period to the authorities?
2. I would take my one son, who is almost 6, but only has SA citizenship. How would this be viewed once the 6 months is up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to our cyber community of British Expats. Hopefully the lovely people who post in this forum will be able to answer your questions.

Good luck.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

it may be a little more costly , but rather than applying for a visitors visa, why not apply for a settlement visa for your son? then there is no need to apply every 6months for a visitors visa, if your application for your sons settlement visa is approved, then he has an indefinite amount of time as well as access to the school system and NHS etc , as long as you have your british passport , you can be his sponsor
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Sue and Jerseygirl for your warm welcome .

Paul, for your advice too, thank you.

I had thought of motivating the application as a) my son is dependant on me (as you have indicated) and b) I will be 'caring', particularly for my Father. Do you know if nursing qualifications are a pre-requisite?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

not sure what you mean by 'motivating the application' , but if its reasons as to why you are requiring the visa, im not sure the UKBA cares, no offence, they just want to see that you and your son have a place that is suitable to stay and that you can maintain your son without becoming dependant on public funds
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Landyd1
Thank you Sue and Jerseygirl for your warm welcome .

Paul, for your advice too, thank you.

I had thought of motivating the application as a) my son is dependant on me (as you have indicated) and b) I will be 'caring', particularly for my Father. Do you know if nursing qualifications are a pre-requisite?
I'm pretty sure you don't need any sort of qualifications to look after your father...you may even be entitled to a carer's allowance.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both.

How difficult is it to obtain a settlement visa? I would imagine as a minor, and the necessary permission from his father, there should not really be a problem. Am I correct here?

As far as keeping my passport up to date, that is a definite