need advice please

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

anetdej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need advice please

hi everyone

Need some advice please to pass on to daughter.

she has been living in Portugal for the past 2.5 years, she is living with her partner who is travelling on an Australian passport, he was born in Australia to Portuguese born parents and has lived in Oz for the past 25 years with his mother. His father returned to Portugal many years ago and last year he decided to visit his father and then decided to stay there and then met my daughter.

They are talking about coming to come to UK. but need to know the entry requirements for him. i don't think he can just get on a plane like she can!

He is thinking of applying for a Portuguese passport.
Thing is if he cant find work soon he will have to go back to Oz and that opens a new can of worms as far as my daughter is concerned.

Any advice please

Many thanks

Annette
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need advice please

He should check to see if he has Portuguese citizenship, or if he's able to apply for it.

With a Portuguese passport, he can freely live in the UK (under EU/EEA rules), although he should make the point of getting proper permanent resident status (indefinite leave to remain) if he wants to apply for British citizenship eventually.

Otherwise your daughter would have to see if she is able to sponsor him for a partner visa (or possibly an EEA family permit - although professional advice would be a must on this):
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Or he could possibly get a working holiday visa for the UK if she wasn't ready to sponsor him.

A Portuguese passport would be *by far* the easiest option if he is eligible for one.

For all the other options, some good professional advice would be very useful.

Jeremy

Originally posted by anetdej
hi everyone

Need some advice please to pass on to daughter.

she has been living in Portugal for the past 2.5 years, she is living with her partner who is travelling on an Australian passport, he was born in Australia to Portuguese born parents and has lived in Oz for the past 25 years with his mother. His father returned to Portugal many years ago and last year he decided to visit his father and then decided to stay there and then met my daughter.

They are talking about coming to come to UK. but need to know the entry requirements for him. i don't think he can just get on a plane like she can!

He is thinking of applying for a Portuguese passport.
Thing is if he cant find work soon he will have to go back to Oz and that opens a new can of worms as far as my daughter is concerned.

Any advice please

Many thanks

Annette
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

anetdej is an unknown quantity at this point

thankyou Jeremy

Yes he has Portuguese citizenship so is able to get passport, I have learned a great deal from this forum, but I can see its going to be along process for Alison to get a visa for Oz,

What if they married here or in Portugal would that complicate matters, they are talking of starting a family in the next twelve months.?

A.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ask on the Australia forums about spouse visas. Also visit http://www.immi.gov.au

It's not clear why you think getting a spouse visa for Australia should be a long process. It's not, normally - provided the requirements are met and evidenced.

Jeremy

Originally posted by anetdej
thankyou Jeremy

Yes he has Portuguese citizenship so is able to get passport, I have learned a great deal from this forum, but I can see its going to be along process for Alison to get a visa for Oz,

What if they married here or in Portugal would that complicate matters, they are talking of starting a family in the next twelve months.?

A.