My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Thank you - as long as it all works out in the end and you don't end up blaming me instead . It sounds like you're being a lot more thorough in ensuring you do more than just go through the motions than I would have been (having thought about this scenario a couple of years ago for ourselves under the old rules)
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Promise I won't blame you!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaV
Promise I won't blame you!
We're blaming the Uncrowned Kings Being Awkward and the Horrible Ogres!
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Oops, sorry last post was added to the wrong thread
Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Kelly_and Edson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there everyone

I have been looking over this thread for the past few days and I am very encouraged that so many people are going through the same thing we are! Also have found out some more valuable information about the ss route.

I wanted to join the thread as it feels great to know there are others I can relate too and share our storey with.

I am from London and Edson my husband, is from Cape Verde. I live here in Cape Verde with him. However, there is only so long a London girl can live on a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic and so......

We researched many possible ways to get back to the UK mostly running into the dead end of earning 18600 in the UK before my husband can apply for a UK spouse visa, bearing in mind I chose to live with him here, then I met a lovely lady who was on holiday, she briefly told me about the ss route and since then I have been researching to the point of obsession!

Unfortunately Edson needs a visa to enter Ireland, we have already applied, sent 1.5 weeks ago via DHL and still not delivered to Ireland. Cape Verde postal system leaves A LOT to be desired, even when using DHL Express courier apparently! Anyway We have applied for the visa to 'enter Ireland accompanying a EU spouse' I am pulling my hair out and worrying I missed something but I think this is normal!!! Checking hourly my DHL status

So I am alot further back in the process from you guys but feels good to share my story and will keep checking on here and updating with my progress

Thanks all for your valuable information and reassurance so far
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mr Muffin, yes we love Ireland but there has been a couple of personal circumstances that have arisen recently which has resulted in us having to move a lot sooner than we hoped. The main reason being that my mum's partner passed away last week and as my mum is disabled, she needs help.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mr Muffin, yes we love Ireland but there has been a couple of personal circumstances that have arisen recently which has resulted in us having to move a lot sooner than we hoped. The main reason being that my mum's partner passed away last week and as my mum is disabled, she needs help.
Sorry to hear that and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get home asap. Take care, M
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Siobhan.R is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Hi Angela,

I'm SO glad I found your thread!!

Myself (British) and my husband (South African) have also moved to Ireland to go the SS route. It was a bit daunting at first, but we've managed to last nearly 5 months!

We've got to the point where we're doing a "trial run" of applying for an EEA FP, to visit my parents in the UK - but the form is ridiculously long, and has some rather stupid questions! I see you've now applied for yours, so any advice on filling it out will be amazing!

Our lease isn't up until June 2014, so we'll be staying until then. Luckily we didn't have any problems finding a flat or jobs when we first arrived - although cars are a nightmare!!

Sorry to hear your mums news, I hope everything works out

Siobhan x
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siobhan.R
Hi Angela,

I'm SO glad I found your thread!!

Myself (British) and my husband (South African) have also moved to Ireland to go the SS route. It was a bit daunting at first, but we've managed to last nearly 5 months!

We've got to the point where we're doing a "trial run" of applying for an EEA FP, to visit my parents in the UK - but the form is ridiculously long, and has some rather stupid questions! I see you've now applied for yours, so any advice on filling it out will be amazing!

Our lease isn't up until June 2014, so we'll be staying until then. Luckily we didn't have any problems finding a flat or jobs when we first arrived - although cars are a nightmare!!

Sorry to hear your mums news, I hope everything works out

Siobhan x
Hi Siobhan. Thanks for posting about your experience doing the SS route. It sounds as though it's going well. Can you tell us a little more about your luck with jobs and getting the other items secured (PPS numbers, GNIB card etc.)? Also was your only option to sign a full year lease or is that what you planned from the get-go? Whereabouts are you in Ireland?

Cheers and all the best, M
Old Oct 29th 2013, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Siobhan.R is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Hi Siobhan. Thanks for posting about your experience doing the SS route. It sounds as though it's going well. Can you tell us a little more about your luck with jobs and getting the other items secured (PPS numbers, GNIB card etc.)? Also was your only option to sign a full year lease or is that what you planned from the get-go? Whereabouts are you in Ireland?

Cheers and all the best, M
Hello MrMuffin.

We arrived in Cobh, Cork via ferry and coach on the 3rd June, with 4 nights in a hotel booked and got stuck in finding a flat - it's very difficult to do anything without a residential address here, so it was our priority! By the 7th, we'd moved in to a 2 bed flat in a nice part of town, and also (thanks to the nice lady at AIB), sorted out my bank account - I used my UK address to open the account, then just changed the address once we'd got our first bill through.

I got my PPS number quite easily - went into the office in Cork City, walked out 10 mins later, and received my PPS a week later in the post.

I'd been offered a job as soon as we'd arrived, but they told me 2 days later that they didn't actually need me, so had to job hunt for a while. I didn't get a contracted job until the 12th August, but thankfully they pay weekly so was able to apply for hubbys GNIB card with 2 weeks of starting. I think it took just over a month for them to send us a letter telling him he could go to the local police station to get his GNIB card. INIS then asked me for more documents for the EU1 application, and have since sent them back with a lovely thank you note - so now we're just waiting on the final approval.

We've been quite lucky from what I've heard, we're both working, have a nice flat, and haven't really had any problems so far - except for lack of a social life!

Hope thats covered it all!!

S x
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Well guys, I am delighted to report that we have made it back to Scotland

We received our Family Permit on Friday and left Ireland on Saturday for Scotland.

It has certainly been a roller coaster of a ride over the past few months but it has definitely been worth it!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and welcome home!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:52 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yay!! Excellent to hear that you achieved your goal, Angela!

And thanks again for providing so much good info in this thread for those who will attempt to follow you....
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys, I am delighted to report that we have made it back to Scotland

We received our Family Permit on Friday and left Ireland on Saturday for Scotland.

It has certainly been a roller coaster of a ride over the past few months but it has definitely been worth it!
Well bugger me if I don't have a tear in my eye. Congratulations Angela, you've shown incredible fortitude to make it home and your generous sharing of information has made a positive difference to a lot of people.
Welcome home lassie! xxxx
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Welcome home to Scotland Angela. It's a great story of success and your help and positiveness about going through the SS route has definitely made the route a strong consideration for us as a family for next year.

I continue to collect many questions about taking the SS route (ready to help my USC wife feel much more comfortable with it) and having your story to hand helps greatly. I hope everything works out with your family member who was recently taken ill and also that your life with your 5-member immediate family and especially your special needs daughter is truly enriched in Scotland. Congratulations!!! xox

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.