My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I deck mend applying for FP.
Recommend

Bloody spell checker.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 5:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geebee1978
Someone raised a little concern. We will be arriving in January and as we will only be there for a short time, didn't consider enrolling kids into school. We can't afford private education and most state schools are in Maltese so our idea was to let them have a break before returning to the UK for the term in September.

However, as home-schooling isn't technically legal in Malta, could it be possible that the UK government could view them not going to school as not forming a "centre of life" in the country?

I know this would be harsh but the last thing I want is to fall down on a technicality like this....
you really are nit picking this.

"Technically" they'd be on holiday right?

My suggestion when you get to Malta is 'throw them into the deep end & let them swim' - in other words enrol them in the state school in Malta for the time you are there, could be 6, 9 12 months, even a lifetime who knows. What's the best thing that could happen too them? - they make friends, they fumble, they learn another language & culture

For your SS route through Malta, plan it'll be six months start to finish

You also want to contact the UK schools at the town you are planning on returning to, to let them know you are return on X date & would like to get the kids enrolled (a place) in the school in the UK
Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

geebee1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

not2old....

You're right, it does sound like nitpicking and possibly over analysing - I'm just trying to put myself in immigration's position, how they would think and wonder if I have all my bases covered.

On further research, it seems that there are many primary schools that have a fair amount of foreign kids, even in state schools depending on area. St Paul's Bay for example is very accommodating and understanding of children who don't speak Maltese (some said their kids didn't speak Maltese or English!).
Old Jul 5th 2015, 9:34 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

On further research, it seems that there are many primary schools that have a fair amount of foreign kids, even in state schools depending on area. St Paul's Bay for example is very accommodating and understanding of children who don't speak Maltese (some said their kids didn't speak Maltese or English!).

in the more popular British areas of Malta
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

fabiopg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I have just joined the forum!

I read through this whole post trying to learn more about the SS route and was wondering if someone here has applied through the SS route from Germany to go back to the UK.

I am a British citizen (original from Brazil) married to a Venezuelan citizen. We have been living in Germany for a little over 2 years, where I have been working as a freelancer since day one. I have got a job in London and she needs to apply for her visa to join me.

It would be a very straightforward case, as we can produce evidence of renting a house here since we arrived, statements from my bank account in here with my work income, German registration of address, income tax return, etc. Our baby was born here as well.

The problem is the bloody thing regarding integration into the local community. How could I possibly show evidence of this?

Thanks,
Fabio

Last edited by fabiopg; Jul 18th 2015 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

chocLog is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't you tell them you've been a regular sperm donor at the local Refferbarn for over 2 years? That's what I call integration 👍😀😂😂😂
Originally Posted by fabiopg
Hey guys,

I have just joined the forum!

I read through this whole post trying to learn more about the SS route and was wondering if someone here has applied through the SS route from Germany to go back to the UK.

I am a British citizen (original from Brazil) married to a Venezuelan citizen. We have been living in Germany for a little over 2 years, where I have been working as a freelancer since day one. I have got a job in London and she needs to apply for her visa to join me.

It would be a very straightforward case, as we can produce evidence of renting a house here since we arrived, statements from my bank account in here with my work income, German registration of address, income tax return, etc. Our baby was born here as well.

The problem is the bloody thing regarding integration into the local community. How could I possibly show evidence of this?

Thanks,
Fabio
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

I have actually been :-P
Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by fabiopg

A very good point it is that you made & the question that you've asked, which I am going to try to answer with putting a not so serious twist response to it.

Is it likely that you have lived & stayed in your apartment without ever stepping outside of it, if not - then what did you do that you would consider intergrating under the Surinder Singh rules?

Is it possible that during that period you never saw or met another person, that you have never interacted with anyone, never went to the movies, been to a doctor/hospital or pharmacy, you have never shopped at any stores, never joined any groups, you dont speak a word of german, you never been on public transit or took a taxi, you've never partied, do not have any acquaintances, never been to anyones house, never been to any social events or had anyone over to your place, never shared a bite to eat with anyone & as for the sperm donation, was that done by courier pick up from your house.

In that case, you have never integrated, you've simply stayed in your apartment all that time stuck glued to your computer, ordered food in, no one saw you put out the garbage, you do not know or speak to anyone in your housing complex or on the street... then you did not integrate

Therefore no point in making an application for the 'Family permit'.

Now the serious

How do you think you integrated living 2 years in Germany making the place your centre of life outside the UK?

page 2 in the following link

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-_redacted.pdf

Last edited by not2old; Jul 18th 2015 at 5:27 pm. Reason: link added
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you not2old,

First of all, I was joking about the sperm donation, hehehe.

I took a look at the link you posted, and that is exactly what is intriguing me. There is no clear cut in the rule, it is extremely subjective...

For example:

a. I check the box, as I have a child born here. But he is just a baby, no school yet

b. I do not check the box

c. The bizarre bit. Has the British citizen immersed themselves into the life and culture of the host member state? For example, have they bought property
there? Do they speak the language? Are they involved with the local
community?

I haven't bought property and don't speak the language fluently, although I have attended one course. We get to the point about involvement with the local community, which is super subjective as well.

I think it would be super silly, but I am considering to show gym memberships, registration with the GP, ADAC membership and ask my friends to write some letters confirming I am integrated into the community.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Fabiopg....

Yours is one of the most clear-cut cases I've seen. You lived there for two years and worked, presumably paid tax, rented an apartment and even had a child born there. That's as "integrated" as can be and there's no way you should be sweating on this.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 6:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Fabiopg....

Yours is one of the most clear-cut cases I've seen. You lived there for two years and worked, presumably paid tax, rented an apartment and even had a child born there. That's as "integrated" as can be and there's no way you should be sweating on this.

I agree with that.....
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Hope so guys. I will keep you posted.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Would you believe it, I'm actually having troubles at the first hurdle and the one I thought would be a formality - the Schengen visa.

Malta doesn't have an embassy here in Bangkok so their interests are handled by the Austrian embassy. However, they're proving to be quite awkward, asking for return flights, hotel bookings etc. When I told them by law my wife doesn't need to provide this, they simply said that they reserve the right to ask me to convince them that the visa is for travel only and that we'll be coming back.

However, my question is this. The Dutch embassy has been far more laid back and don't even ask for travel insurance for EU/EEA spouses. Now, everywhere I read is that Schengen visas should be applied from the country you are heading to or will be spending the most time. I have no intention of going to the Netherlands so is this grounds for refusal? Will anyone at the Maltese side check and if so, would I need to prove to them that I will eventually go to the Netherlands?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 12:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

However, my question is this. The Dutch embassy has been far more laid back and don't even ask for travel insurance for EU/EEA spouses.

Now, everywhere I read is that Schengen visas should be applied from the country you are heading to or will be spending the most time. I have no intention of going to the Netherlands so is this grounds for refusal? Will anyone at the Maltese side check and if so, would I need to prove to them that I will eventually go to the Netherlands?
there is always a way to skin the cat without getting totally frustrated. You have to imagine slow paced Malta is 20 years beind the times & so small minded the way the UK was 50 years ago. Find another way, as follows

Can you get a flight to Holland from Bangkok, if so do it then a flight from Holland to Malta

visa to the Netherlands stamped then onto Malta

Or is there a flight from Bangkok to Rome... repeat above

Or is there a flight from Bangkok to Frankfurt... repeat above

Last edited by not2old; Jul 22nd 2015 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

If it was just me and the wife, I'd be quite open to stopping at other places. However, I'll have two kids and lots of luggage.

So in your honest opinion, you think it's possible Maltese officials could question why I have a Dutch Schengen visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.