Moving to the UK from Perth for 2 Years

Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:15 am
Just Joined

charlotte06au is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to the UK from Perth for 2 Years

Hello! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd ask some of you friendly sounding people for some advice

I am going to go back to England (from Australia) for 2 years in 2 years time. (That's the plan). Also, my boyfriend will be coming with me but will need some sort of working visa. He is a Commonwealth Citizen with a UK Ancestor, his Gran was born in the UK.

I have my Great Britain passport and still with the bank over there, and my brother still lives there so I would stay with him for a month or so and then rent out a flat nearby. But then my boyfriend doesn't even have a UK passport, just an Aus one. So I am guessing he'd have to somehow apply for a UK passport??

We don't want to get married for the sake of living where I'm from for a bit either, we want to do that a lot later on in life.

I have been looking on the UK Border Agency website, and the British High Commission Canberra website about it all but I wondered if anyone else could shed some light in how to go about this and if 2 years of prep is enough time to save up and organize applications before going?

I have done alot of general admin work and supermarket work, as well as being a part-time self employed photographer... He is a 3d Animation artist with his own 3d company starting up as well as being a Graphic Designer. So, I don't know how getting work over there will work but we'd like to go over there with jobs if possible.

Please shed light if you have experienced a similar thing or know any more info...

Many Thanks!!

Charlotte.

P.S. Also we're 22 now and will be 24-25 when we plan to move

Last edited by charlotte06au; Jan 29th 2011 at 4:27 am.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:29 am
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to the UK from Perth for 2 Years

Your boyfriend can't get a UK passport BUT he can apply for a UK Ancestry Clearance, valid for five years, and after 5 years in the UK he can get indefinite leave to remain, then after a year of that he can get citizenship by naturalisation. Also, if one of his parents lived in the UK for 3 or 5 years (can't remember how long) he may qualify for British citizenship by double descent.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:36 am
Just Joined

charlotte06au is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Milana_Rosemont
Your boyfriend can't get a UK passport BUT he can apply for a UK Ancestry Clearance, valid for five years, and after 5 years in the UK he can get indefinite leave to remain, then after a year of that he can get citizenship by naturalisation. Also, if one of his parents lived in the UK for 3 or 5 years (can't remember how long) he may qualify for British citizenship by double descent.
Hi there,
Thanks for replying so promptly! I didn't think he could get a UK passport, but the Ancestry Clearance sounds good, I didn't realise it would be valid for so long! Unfortunately his parents have never left Australia and don't even have passports. But his nan came over many years ago, and his aunt has been back since.
Thanks for that info!

Charlotte
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't many 3d animation places in Perth, are there? (I can only think of John Cheese and Double G) but there are lots of post-prodcution and animation houses in London so he could probably get some contract work. Maybe he should register with a few agencies and let them know when he's coming.

Originally Posted by charlotte06au
Hello! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd ask some of you friendly sounding people for some advice

I am going to go back to England (from Australia) for 2 years in 2 years time. (That's the plan). Also, my boyfriend will be coming with me but will need some sort of working visa. He is a Commonwealth Citizen with a UK Ancestor, his Gran was born in the UK.

I have my Great Britain passport and still with the bank over there, and my brother still lives there so I would stay with him for a month or so and then rent out a flat nearby. But then my boyfriend doesn't even have a UK passport, just an Aus one. So I am guessing he'd have to somehow apply for a UK passport??

We don't want to get married for the sake of living where I'm from for a bit either, we want to do that a lot later on in life.

I have been looking on the UK Border Agency website, and the British High Commission Canberra website about it all but I wondered if anyone else could shed some light in how to go about this and if 2 years of prep is enough time to save up and organize applications before going?

I have done alot of general admin work and supermarket work, as well as being a part-time self employed photographer... He is a 3d Animation artist with his own 3d company starting up as well as being a Graphic Designer. So, I don't know how getting work over there will work but we'd like to go over there with jobs if possible.

Please shed light if you have experienced a similar thing or know any more info...

Many Thanks!!

Charlotte.

Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlotte06au

Many Thanks!!

Charlotte.

Hi

not sure if it works the same way around but i met a couple in their early 20's who were going to go to Aus...the young guy had his permanent aus visa via his skills his girlfriend had no quals etc so she was refused a visa...what they were advised to do was to live together and pay bills together for at least six months to show that they were a commited couple although not married...they did this for a year then applied once again for the girlfriend and she was granted a visa also to live and work in Aus....maybe the British government also do this? good luck