Moving Spouse from US to UK - Visa Qs

Old May 27th 2022, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

jpidgley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Spouse from US to UK - Visa Qs

I moved to the US in 2011. My Wife and I were married the same year.
We currently still live in the US but have discussed potentially moving to the UK.
This is our current situation:
Me: British Born. UK Passport, US Green Card holder - Waiting on Naturalization interview in US
Wife: US Born. US Passport Holder
Two sons: US Born. US Passport Holders - Waiting on UK Passports

To move back is no problem for myself and our sons as British Citizens, my wife however will need a marriage visa.

Here's where my questions come in.

1. I see that you can apply both in and out of the UK. If I understand correctly, you can only apply from within UK so long as you are there on a valid Visa and are applying to change it. Seeing as US citizens do not need, and connot apply for a Tourist Visa, can she fly to the UK as a tourist without a visa (like a normal 6month tourist) and then apply from in country?

2. If that isn't an option and she has to apply from the US, is she still allowed to visit the UK during the visa application.
Old May 27th 2022, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Spouse from US to UK - Visa Qs

1. NO.... she has to apply from US
2. yes, although cannot be in UK at time visa is issued, so not advised.....
Old May 27th 2022, 4:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpidgley
.... Here's where my questions come in.

1. I see that you can apply both in and out of the UK. If I understand correctly, you can only apply from within UK so long as you are there on a valid Visa and are applying to change it. Seeing as US citizens do not need, and connot apply for a Tourist Visa, can she fly to the UK as a tourist without a visa (like a normal 6month tourist) and then apply from in country? ....
You have the answer to your own question embedded in your question .... you can only apply if you are living in the UK on a visa (BTW it has to be a visa allowing you to live and work in the UK, so a tourist visa doesn't work anyway), and your wife won't have a visa.
Old May 27th 2022, 6:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that spouse visa applications are currently taking at least six months to process from the time of application.
Old May 27th 2022, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

jpidgley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have the answer to your own question embedded in your question .... you can only apply if you are living in the UK on a visa (BTW it has to be a visa allowing you to live and work in the UK, so a tourist visa doesn't work anyway), and your wife won't have a visa.
Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Be aware that spouse visa applications are currently taking at least six months to process from the time of application.
Yup, hence the question about still being able to Visit and be in-country during that time