Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Moving to northern Ireland with American Husband and baby

Moving to northern Ireland with American Husband and baby

Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to northern Ireland with American Husband and baby

"I believe the UK no longer requires the annual salary that they did the last few years". Where did you get that information ?
If sponsoring your spouse for a UK visa you still need to pass the income or capital rule.Unfair and iniquitous but 'rules is rules' !
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:54 am
longing for Druidia

Spaceball is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Maryb,

Hope all is well and you've been making progress in this process to help you and your husband/daughter be come permanently settled back in Northern Ireland.

I am in a similar situation - my wife is from Co Down and while she is already there with our children, I am here in Washington DC keen to begin the immigration process.

Just curious to know what route your husband will end up taking/or has already started? I don't think I want for my wife to renounce her British citizenship, and I want to avoid moving outside of the UK or Ireland and be away from my family even more than necessary.

Looking forward to any updates or advice you'd be willing to share. All the best!
Old Dec 25th 2015, 10:22 pm
longing for Druidia

Hi all,

Just wanting to bump this thread for the purpose of obtaining further insight on this topic, and hopefully an update from maryb or others in a similar set of circumstances re: UK/Irish dual nationality.

As the husband of a Dual UK/Irish citizen - and father of our three Dual UK/Irish citizens, too - I feel quite shell-shocked by the current state of affairs re: immigration policy for non-EEA nationals.

Just for clarity - IF I am the sole applicant on this 'spouse of a UK citizen' visa, what exactly is the breakdown of savings I am supposed to demonstrate we have access to - especially as I can't access a job in the UK and my wife will not be contributing as an employed person? We have three children - but ALL are already living in Northern Ireland and all are Dual UK/Irish citizens. It is not as if they will be coming with me from the US.

Moreover - if we currently have a home in Northern Ireland (thru a mortgage under my wife's name), can this count for anything in terms of satisfying financial requirements? We have NO DESIRE to even entertain the idea of accessing public funds. Do letters-of-financial-support from UK relatives also not count for anything to satisfy financial requirements?

Again - this is such a morale-sapping, frustrating process.

Last edited by Spaceball; Dec 25th 2015 at 10:24 pm. Reason: minor edits
Old Dec 26th 2015, 5:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spaceball
Hi all,

Just wanting to bump this thread for the purpose of obtaining further insight on this topic, and hopefully an update from maryb or others in a similar set of circumstances re: UK/Irish dual nationality.

As the husband of a Dual UK/Irish citizen - and father of our three Dual UK/Irish citizens, too - I feel quite shell-shocked by the current state of affairs re: immigration policy for non-EEA nationals.

Just for clarity - IF I am the sole applicant on this 'spouse of a UK citizen' visa, what exactly is the breakdown of savings I am supposed to demonstrate we have access to - especially as I can't access a job in the UK and my wife will not be contributing as an employed person? We have three children - but ALL are already living in Northern Ireland and all are Dual UK/Irish citizens. It is not as if they will be coming with me from the US.
To go down the savings route then you must show you have access to £62,500. This can be held by you, your wife or jointly.

Moreover - if we currently have a home in Northern Ireland (thru a mortgage under my wife's name), can this count for anything in terms of satisfying financial requirements? We have NO DESIRE to even entertain the idea of accessing public funds. Do letters-of-financial-support from UK relatives also not count for anything to satisfy financial requirements?
No, they won't help you.
Old Dec 26th 2015, 9:10 pm
longing for Druidia

Thanks for responding, BiP.

I was also thinking applying through the 'parent of a UK child/citizen' but if I read the guidance doc correctly the Home Office will not allow this.