moving back to where you originally lived or not?

Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to where you originally lived or not?

Originally Posted by User Name
Have you really done with roving dunroving?!? Are you still in entrenched in NC or de-trenched and debugged in the UK? Bit confused is what I am ...
Well, assuming I receive a contract in the near future, I and the dog will be heading from NC to south Wales some time in the summer and then (hopefully!) I truly will be done roving ... I'm just getting too old for any more major moves.

When I interviewed, a prospective colleague showed me around and told me how he had lived in south Wales his whole life (he is 40). He clearly wished he had lived elsewhere at some time (he did apply overseas a couple of times). I told him there is a lot to be said for staying in one place, and that he has lots of options (being in academia) for temporary experience overseas (e.g., on exchange programs, etc.). Truly relocating on a permanent basis is a huge gamble (becasue it often ends up not being permanent). In some ways I am quite jealous of people who have lived in the same place for more than 10 years!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

welykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant future
Default Re: moving back to where you originally lived or not?

I just thought I'd say we moved back 6 months ago (after 4 years) to the same general area and have slotted back in with old friends, although you need to give it a bit of time to gel. Hubby and I have separated, the strain of the last 5 years uncertainty may have taken too big a toll Despite that, knowing we are living somewhere and it will only change if we choose rather than being dependant on the INS granting the next bit of paperwork has made a huge different to how I feel about life. It's great having family all within a 30 minute drive. We home educate and the boys (12 & 14) have slotted back in with old friends they'd grown up with and are getting on well with newcomers to our original group not to mention a whole new range of friends at another local group. They are still in very regular msn contact with their US friends (which means I don't often get much chance to "see" mine! ho hum)
I miss a couple of US friends terribly but its not as bad as missing family was. I miss the weather and the space and the fact although we were in a rocky patch we were a family and had money to do things. In light of all that though being in a familiar area has worked really well cos I've needed my support networks and they were here and its made some very difficult decisions more manageable.

I worried that coming back to the same place would be a backward step but I have to say it hasn't felt like it yet.