Moving back to the UK with wife and baby

Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:37 am
Just Joined

gazz21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK with wife and baby

We're starting to plan for our possible move back to the UK (which would be in around 2 years’ time).

I'm teaching in Korea at the moment and my wife is Korean, we have a baby on the way too...

I have a number of questions (having read the stupid government website) and some of this GREAT website .

Assuming that in around two years’ time we move back and we have around 70,000 pounds saved (which needs to be in the UK bank account for at least 6 months untouched).

And that we have a signed letter from my parents saying that we can stay with them until I get a job sorted out (teaching in the UK).

She would apply for a spousal VISA, from Korea - which would be good for 3 years; she would then have to get another 3 year VISA and then could finally apply for brit cit (assuming we stayed in country for those 6 years) and she passed the test.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming ^ these assumptions are correct?

Now my questions:

1. Would it be better for me to come to the UK alone and sort a job out first (I'd be starting on around 23,000 pounds) which would be just under the spouse and 1 child limit), or would it be better for her to come with me too.

If possible I'd like her to come at the same time with the baby.....I've read conflicting info about which path is best....

2. With me just being under the threshold earnings for wife and 1 child, would our savings amount (which I would want to use quite quickly and for a large deposit on a house) be enough?

3. Could she work, whilst she was on the (twice) three year spousal VISA thinngy?

Of course two years is a long time, I’m sure the government will change the rule at least another 6 times between now and then!

If anyone can help/clarify - THANKS!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Andyjpn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to the UK with wife and baby

Hi, I have been looking at this myself recently. Here is my understanding which may be wrong.
If you have savings of 62,000stg you do not need to guarantee a certain salary level. This needs to be in a UK account for min 6 months. If you transfer your savings to the UK ahead of time I believe there is no need for you to travel ahead of your partner.

If you are going the salary route you would need to have that income for 6 months before your partner can apply. By the way,it is my understanding that if your child is a British Citizen there is no financial obligation for them. So the threshold would be slightly lower (18,800 I think) Make sure you register the birth of your child with the UK Embassy in Korea and get a UK birth certificate.

As far as I know there are no restrictions when it comes to your wife working. There are however a lot of restrictions on benefits.

All the best!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

If you intend to include earnings then the rules change significantly the moment you enter the UK and that means an extra 6 or 12 months wait. So, personally, I'd apply from abroad if you can.

The visas are for 2.5 years (30 months). You don't need the liquid savings all the way through but DO need to fulfil the 6-months-in-a-bank-account requirement when reapplying after 2.5 years. At the second application (for ILR) after a total of 5 years you only need to show 16000 which fulfils the 6-months-rule. 1 day after getting the ILR you can apply for naturalisation if you want.

Check the status of your Kid and get a passport if you can. If you were born in the UK then your child will be british by descent if born abroad (you have no choice in this, even if you don't get a passport they are still British by descent) and can get a passport which is the easiest way of proving nationality and getting in to the country
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
If you intend to include earnings then the rules change significantly the moment you enter the UK and that means an extra 6 or 12 months wait. So, personally, I'd apply from abroad if you can.

The visas are for 2.5 years (30 months). You don't need the liquid savings all the way through but DO need to fulfil the 6-months-in-a-bank-account requirement when reapplying after 2.5 years. At the second application (for ILR) after a total of 5 years you only need to show 16000 which fulfils the 6-months-rule. 1 day after getting the ILR you can apply for naturalisation if you want.

Check the status of your Kid and get a passport if you can. If you were born in the UK then your child will be british by descent if born abroad (you have no choice in this, even if you don't get a passport they are still British by descent) and can get a passport which is the easiest way of proving nationality and getting in to the country
Can you clarify the savings as you understand it? I keep seeing all kinds of numbers and the chart on the website is confusing: 62K at onset > how much at 2.5 years? > how much at 5 years? I had seen a figure of 36K. Where does that come in
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Can you clarify the savings as you understand it? I keep seeing all kinds of numbers and the chart on the website is confusing: 62K at onset > how much at 2.5 years? > how much at 5 years? I had seen a figure of 36K. Where does that come in
PHS, have you looked at the chart at the end of the Statement of Intent of the new rules? This chart was recently brought to my attention and it makes the financial requirements for ALL three stages of the spouse visa period much clearer to me. (The three stages are entry clearance to enter the UK, further leave to remain after the first 2.5 years in the UK, and ILR at the end of 5 years in the UK.)

Look at the chart on page 46 of this link below. (I printed it out to keep handy.) Makes everything easier to understand.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...oi-fam-mig.pdf
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

There's a whole dedicated forum area for this, no?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
PHS, have you looked at the chart at the end of the Statement of Intent of the new rules? This chart was recently brought to my attention and it makes the financial requirements for ALL three stages of the spouse visa period much clearer to me. (The three stages are entry clearance to enter the UK, further leave to remain after the first 2.5 years in the UK, and ILR at the end of 5 years in the UK.)

Look at the chart on page 46 of this link below. (I printed it out to keep handy.) Makes everything easier to understand.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...oi-fam-mig.pdf
Yes, I was referring to that chart. Evidently I am correct in my figures. It's other people who keep tossing out other figures that continue to confuse me
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
When applying for initial clearance you need 2.5 times the income shortfall. When extending this for the second period of leave to remain you again need 2.5 times the shortfall. When applying for the final indefinite leave to remain 1 times the shortfall (which wasn't clear in my previous post - sorry).
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
When applying for initial clearance you need 2.5 times the income shortfall. When extending this for the second period of leave to remain you again need 2.5 times the shortfall. When applying for the final indefinite leave to remain 1 times the shortfall (which wasn't clear in my previous post - sorry).
No problem Although for those of us on savings alone putting everything in terms of "shortfall" is probably where the confusion lies
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

To add to all the info yu are getting.
If the baby is a UK citizen by descent through you (if you are Brit born and raised) then just get the baby a UK passport and register him/her birth abroad. You also don't add the baby into the calculations, just your wife so need an income of just over £18,000 a year
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:26 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazz21
We're starting to plan for our possible move back to the UK (which would be in around 2 years’ time).

I'm teaching in Korea at the moment and my wife is Korean, we have a baby on the way too...

I have a number of questions (having read the stupid government website) and some of this GREAT website .

Assuming that in around two years’ time we move back and we have around 70,000 pounds saved (which needs to be in the UK bank account for at least 6 months untouched).

And that we have a signed letter from my parents saying that we can stay with them until I get a job sorted out (teaching in the UK).

She would apply for a spousal VISA, from Korea - which would be good for 3 years; she would then have to get another 3 year VISA and then could finally apply for brit cit (assuming we stayed in country for those 6 years) and she passed the test.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming ^ these assumptions are correct?

Now my questions:

1. Would it be better for me to come to the UK alone and sort a job out first (I'd be starting on around 23,000 pounds) which would be just under the spouse and 1 child limit), or would it be better for her to come with me too.

If possible I'd like her to come at the same time with the baby.....I've read conflicting info about which path is best....

2. With me just being under the threshold earnings for wife and 1 child, would our savings amount (which I would want to use quite quickly and for a large deposit on a house) be enough?

3. Could she work, whilst she was on the (twice) three year spousal VISA thinngy?

Of course two years is a long time, I’m sure the government will change the rule at least another 6 times between now and then!

If anyone can help/clarify - THANKS!
If you have 70k in the bank, you dont need to secure any employment and as long as you meet all other requirements you are set.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

gazz21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the replies!

A great help!