Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK, need info about UK Ancestry clearance...

Moving back to the UK, need info about UK Ancestry clearance...

Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

coolkatrina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK, need info about UK Ancestry clearance...

Hey there,

I'm a Brit, living in Canada and I'm moving back in a year or so, and my boyfriend has expressed interest in coming back with me. His grandparents are British, so I know he can get in with the UK Ancestry clearance, however... he has yet to confirm if they were born before or during 1922. If they were born after, is there another route we can take to get him clearance? Do we get just have to apply for a regular work visa and hope he gets in? He's not a skilled worker, and we're not common-law either...

If they were born in 1922 or before, we don't need to apply for any other visas right?

Has anyone else moved to the UK with ancestry clearance? Any personal experiences would be great help!

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to the UK, need info about UK Ancestry clearance...

Originally Posted by coolkatrina
Hey there,

I'm a Brit, living in Canada and I'm moving back in a year or so, and my boyfriend has expressed interest in coming back with me. His grandparents are British, so I know he can get in with the UK Ancestry clearance, however... he has yet to confirm if they were born before or during 1922. If they were born after, is there another route we can take to get him clearance? Do we get just have to apply for a regular work visa and hope he gets in? He's not a skilled worker, and we're not common-law either...

If they were born in 1922 or before, we don't need to apply for any other visas right?

Has anyone else moved to the UK with ancestry clearance? Any personal experiences would be great help!

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
I would double check the wording on this. You have to have a grandparent born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man at any time; or a grandparent born in what is now the Republic of Ireland on or before March 31, 1922 (due to Eire being under UK control prior to that point)

If his g/parents were born in the UK, the date isn't an issue. Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:06 am
Just Joined

coolkatrina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brizzle
I would double check the wording on this. You have to have a grandparent born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man at any time; or a grandparent born in what is now the Republic of Ireland on or before March 31, 1922 (due to Eire being under UK control prior to that point)

If his g/parents were born in the UK, the date isn't an issue. Good luck.
Ohh, right. I don't think I was reading it properly.

Sorry! Thanks!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If there is an Irish or Northern Irish born grandparent, look at the options to register as an Irish citizen by descent, in addition to (or as an alternative to) the Ancestry visa.