Moving back to Uk, need help with uk spouse visa

Old May 9th 2011, 11:00 am
Just Joined

ndaudi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to Uk, need help with uk spouse visa

Hi!
Im moving back to UK. I am a British citizen but my husband isnt, so we need to apply for his spouse visa. Does anyone have any experience with this procedure? Any help would be muchhhhh appreciated
Thanks!
Old May 9th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Uk, need help with uk spouse visa

Any specific questions about it?
Old May 9th 2011, 11:25 am
Just Joined

ndaudi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

Yea I wanted to know the procedure. I understand that we need to show that when my Husband joins me he will not be dependent on the state. Therefore me (as the sponsor) needs to show evidence of a job (salary slips) and accommodation (tenancy agreement). I was wondering how many I will need to show (duration)? and if I have to have a certain salary in order to be able to be eligible? As in do i need to earn above a certain amount?
Old May 10th 2011, 12:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am currently living in Canada, I have both Canadian and British citizenship. I am planning on moving back to the UK a the end of Oct. My partner has applied for her British passport, both her parents were born in the UK. We have been married for 5 years. But will she need a visa to work?
Thank you
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guinness
I am currently living in Canada, I have both Canadian and British citizenship. I am planning on moving back to the UK a the end of Oct. My partner has applied for her British passport, both her parents were born in the UK. We have been married for 5 years. But will she need a visa to work?
Thank you
If she's a British citizen, of course she won't.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:13 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

www.immigrationboards.com
loads of information
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Jagerbomb is on a distinguished road

BOOK HIS ENGLISH TEST FIRST and obtain the results! He cannot apply for his settlement (Spouse visa) until he has the results. The booking time can be over a month's wait and then a further 3 weeks or so to obtain the results to present at the interview. If he is doing the IELTS test its the General training not the Academic test he needs to do. It was a most stressful time for me and months of preparation - I had everything Indexed in a folder, checked many times over!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jagerbomb
BOOK HIS ENGLISH TEST FIRST and obtain the results! He cannot apply for his settlement (Spouse visa) until he has the results. The booking time can be over a month's wait and then a further 3 weeks or so to obtain the results to present at the interview. If he is doing the IELTS test its the General training not the Academic test he needs to do. It was a most stressful time for me and months of preparation - I had everything Indexed in a folder, checked many times over!
I think the Life in the UK test has replaced English tests. Even when they did have English tests, a degree from an English speaking country or other qualifications (High School Diplomas for eg) was OK instead of IELTS.

You do not need to take the Life in the UK test to get a UK Spouse visa. You only need to pass Life in the UK to get Indefinite Leave to Remain ie permanent residency.

However if you have been married over 4 years you can either take the test in the UK before you apply for the Spouse visa and get PR right away, or else get PR subject to passing the test. Once in the UK and having passed the test, you could then apply for PR instead of waiting 2 years like you'd have to do if married under 4 years.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

The English Test rule only came out NOVEMBER 30th LAST YEAR, so my husband had to do it and had to wait for the results to take with us to the interview in March this year (we got the visa!). After the 2 years Spouse Visa is up my husband then applies for ILR and will have to do the Life in England test.

He did prepare for the test by downloading practice tests from the internet, it's trickier than you think! Also, I was directing people to the class 5 min before the test was due to start as loads of people battled to find the venue - its a test you don't want to miss as it takes months to book and is non refundable.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jagerbomb
The English Test rule only came out NOVEMBER 30th LAST YEAR, so my husband had to do it and had to wait for the results to take with us to the interview in March this year (we got the visa!). After the 2 years Spouse Visa is up my husband then applies for ILR and will have to do the Life in England test.

He did prepare for the test by downloading practice tests from the internet, it's trickier than you think! Also, I was directing people to the class 5 min before the test was due to start as loads of people battled to find the venue - its a test you don't want to miss as it takes months to book and is non refundable.
My bad then as I had not heard of this. I have read of people getting their UK Spouse visas in the US but nobody mentioned anything about an English test. So you have to take an English test even if English is your first language?

Also I had not heard of people having to have an interview, I thought it was all done online and by mail.

Last edited by Squirrel; Jun 14th 2011 at 3:03 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Moving back to Uk, need help with uk spouse visa

We were living in South africa for 5 yrs together and had to prove it. Got married anyway to make it less hassle. Anyone wanting to settle has to do the English Test unless you have the recognised degree.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Apparantly although this English test applies to South Africans, it doesn't apply to a lot of English speaking countries:

Copied from www.ukvisas.gov.uk

"3. Meeting the requirement by being a national of a majority English speaking country
How do I meet the requirement if I come from a “majority English speaking country”
An applicant is deemed to meet the language requirement if they are a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America.
What evidence do I need to supply to show I am a national of one of these countries?
You need to provide your passport or travel document.
I am a national of one of these countries. Do I still need to take a test?
No. You do not need to take a test."
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Apparantly although this English test applies to South Africans, it doesn't apply to a lot of English speaking countries:

Copied from www.ukvisas.gov.uk

"3. Meeting the requirement by being a national of a majority English speaking country
How do I meet the requirement if I come from a “majority English speaking country”
An applicant is deemed to meet the language requirement if they are a national of one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America.
What evidence do I need to supply to show I am a national of one of these countries?
You need to provide your passport or travel document.
I am a national of one of these countries. Do I still need to take a test?
No. You do not need to take a test."
thank you for this post, this is good news for my partner as she is Canadian
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love some advice. My husband (non uk) and I (UK) have been married for 1 year and been living together abroad in his home country for 2.5 years and would like to move to the UK. I have all supporting documents showing we have been living together in a genuine relationship, in addition to a supporting letter from a friend saying we are welcome to stay with her in her home until we our on our feet.

However we will both be giving up our jobs to move to England. This is not a problem as we are staying with a friend until we have a job and find a place to rent. However we only have 3000 pounds in savings, but will have 5000 by the time we move. I am super scared we might be denied due to lack of funds. Please could anyone let me know their thoughts or if we need to provide move information, maybe payslips or bank statement and letter from friend in England saying they are happy to help us out if needed. However i am confident we will be fine with 5000 pounds until we find work. There is also work available in our fields as i have had a look.

Hope this makes sense what I am saying. Any advice helpful.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.