Moving back to UK - Need help on settlement visa

Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

jack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant future
Default Moving back to UK - Need help on settlement visa

Hi All,

First of all let me thanks all the members for putting so much useful information.

My case is that my wife is British Citizen, but we are living abroad. Now we are planning to move back to UK for good. We got married in 2001. I have heard that if couple is staying abroad and they are married for more than four years, they can straight away ILR and they dont have to wait for two years. Is that true? If yes, then do i have to mention it on the application form when i apply for visa.

We have to also clear LIFE IN THE UK test. So which visa they will issue first becoz they can put ILR without clearing the test and teh test can only be done in UK.

Would appreciate if you could let me know the whole process.

Thanks,
Jack
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:09 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK - Need help on settlement visa

Originally Posted by jack_1977
Hi All,

First of all let me thanks all the members for putting so much useful information.

My case is that my wife is British Citizen, but we are living abroad. Now we are planning to move back to UK for good. We got married in 2001. I have heard that if couple is staying abroad and they are married for more than four years, they can straight away ILR and they dont have to wait for two years. Is that true? If yes, then do i have to mention it on the application form when i apply for visa.

We have to also clear LIFE IN THE UK test. So which visa they will issue first becoz they can put ILR without clearing the test and teh test can only be done in UK.

Would appreciate if you could let me know the whole process.

Thanks,
Jack
Hi Jack

My husband got his ILR visa just last week.
Yes, if you have been married oiver 4yrs you can just apply for the ILR visa straight away.
You fill in your application online. Once this is done you will be asked to go for biometric tests. Basically fingerprinting. Once this is done you send these off with all your supporting documents.
When you receive your visa it will say on it "KOL req" which means you have to do it when you have entered the UK.

Hope that helps
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:44 am
Just Joined

jack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant futurejack_1977 has a brilliant future

Thanks Dear,

First of all congratulations for your husband's ILR.

I need small clarification from you. First visa will be issued and what is KOL required, is it the life in UK test or something else.

How long does it take when the test is cleared and all documents are submitted.

Were you both working when your husband applied for UK visa. Like i am working at the moment and do i have to also submit my resignation letter along with application form.

Do i have to mention anything specifically on the application form like we are married for more than four years, hence should get ILR instead of 2 year entry.

Once visa is issued, is there any time limit to enter UK.

Once again thank you very much
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice

Hi Jack

I am in similair position to FFFF and have just been issued a settlement visa, my hubbie is a NZ`er.
Hope this answers your questions.
Yes KOL(Knowledge of Life Test) is also known as Life in UK test.

I am not sure on proccessing time for the ILR.

My husband was working and we applied 3 months before he resigned so could not submit a letter.

They will look at your length of marriage and issue it from there i also in my supporting letter for my husband mentioned that we had been married outside the UK for 4 years to bring it to their attention again.

They issue the visa for 27 months so you basically have plenty of time to enter but may question if you leave it too long,we applied like i say 3 months ago to allow plenty of time.

I have also been advised to get bills etc in both names and start collecting evidence as soon as you arrive as you have to prove when you are applying for ILR that you are still in a relationship.I am not sure how much evidence you do need but something to keep in mind when you set up accounts.

Hope that helps
don`t be afraid to ask these boards have been a life saver for me,this whole proccess is very complicated.

Good Luck
Finks
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Finks,

I fully agree with you that these threads are life saver. I tried to gather this information from so many other sources, but still there were so many doubts.

Last favour from you.

Please let me know when did you apply ILR after entering UK and when you got it in hand.

And the consulate officer did not ask your husband that you are still working at the time of visa application and at same time you are applying UK visa to move there permanently.

Warm Regards,
Jack
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hi Jack

My husband got his ILR visa just last week.
Yes, if you have been married oiver 4yrs you can just apply for the ILR visa straight away.
You fill in your application online. Once this is done you will be asked to go for biometric tests. Basically fingerprinting. Once this is done you send these off with all your supporting documents.
When you receive your visa it will say on it "KOL req" which means you have to do it when you have entered the UK.

Hope that helps
Hi Flea,
I'm was thinking about going for hubby's visa like this; I mean getting the ILR rather than the Spouse Visa (we have been married 12yrs), however, various people had advised that the KOL test had to be sat in the UK, so advised going over for holiday sitting it, hoping you pass, then returning with it, before actually making the permanent move to the UK. I wasn't aware that you can get the visa before hand, before actually sitting the KOL test...so that is great news....one question: is there a time limit in which you have to sit this KOL test after arriving in the UK?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Hi,

There's no time limit to clear the test, the only problem is that you can't apply ILR until you clear the test.

I am also planning to move my application the same way, but my question is different. If we are granted KOL required visa and we clear the test within two weeks after arriving UK, can we immediately apply ILR or we have to stay there for some to show that we are still husband and wife and stay together. Please advice.....

Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:19 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

There's no time limit to clear the test, the only problem is that you can't apply ILR until you clear the test.

I am also planning to move my application the same way, but my question is different. If we are granted KOL required visa and we clear the test within two weeks after arriving UK, can we immediately apply ILR or we have to stay there for some to show that we are still husband and wife and stay together. Please advice.....

Sorry Jack, I have been delaying answering your PM and this post as my husband is at work and I couldnt find his passport to check(its in his car!!), but he just phoned me and I asked him.
He says that it already is an ILR visa when you get it, and i do remember seeing that on it. It just says KOL req underneath meaning that once you get into UK you just sit it and it is complete. There isnt anything else to do.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Sorry Jack, I have been delaying answering your PM and this post as my husband is at work and I couldnt find his passport to check(its in his car!!), but he just phoned me and I asked him.
He says that it already is an ILR visa when you get it, and i do remember seeing that on it. It just says KOL req underneath meaning that once you get into UK you just sit it and it is complete. There isnt anything else to do.
That's not what the Entry Clearance Guide says:

"Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for ILE except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months LTE. During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for ILR."

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/cha...oint%20fifteen
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:06 am
Just Joined

I think the visa will show like SETTLEMENT SPOUSE - KOL REQUIRED...something like that.

This is a Indefinite Leave to remain in UK but it has the validity which is 27 months and within that time you have to clear the Life in the UK test.

When you clear the test, you can go to the nearest office to hand over the certificate.....thats it. And in case if you want them to change the visa sticker which has the validity of 27 months, you have to pay another 950 for that. I think this is the process how it works...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:10 am
I don't give a damn

I think the visa will show like SETTLEMENT SPOUSE - KOL REQUIRED...something like that.

This is a Indefinite Leave to remain in UK but it has the validity which is 27 months and within that time you have to clear the Life in the UK test.

When you clear the test, you can go to the nearest office to hand over the certificate.....thats it. And in case if you want them to change the visa sticker which has the validity of 27 months, you have to pay another 950 for that. I think this is the process how it works...
Yes, you are right Jack, I now have his passport, I was just passing through earlier and not thinking straight. It says on the visa

Settlement spouse/cp (kol req) then has my name next to it. Not sure what the cp means

So much for husbands input. Shall we ignore him in future? LOL
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's not what the Entry Clearance Guide says:

"Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for ILE except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months LTE. During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for ILR."

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/cha...oint%20fifteen
Am I correct in saying that ILE means Indefinite Leave to Enter, and it's the same as a Spouse Visa?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

NO. As far as I can see, it's temporary leave for 27 months. Pass the Life in the UK Test and then you can upgrade it to ILR.
Old May 17th 2009, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Once again thanks a lot for all your help.

I would like to know about accomodation. I dont have any relative or friend in UK. What options do i have regarding accomodation?

Warm Regards,
Jack
Old May 17th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Once again thanks a lot for all your help.

I would like to know about accomodation. I dont have any relative or friend in UK. What options do i have regarding accomodation?

Warm Regards,
Jack
I'm in the same boat Jack. I reckon that saying that you will stay in a hotel until you can rent, is an option. What it does mean is that when you arrive in the UK, if you are checked, and don't have a hotel booking, you could be refused entry. Noway am I booking a hotel until I have a visa.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question too. I am the applicant who is in temp employment, and have $250k in a fixed term deposit. My wife (the sponsor) has no money or job. Does anyone think that this matters if we sign a letter saying that we both have access to the funds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.