Moving back to the UK but complicated visa!

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Chapponick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK but complicated visa!

Hi there.

We moved to Canada where my wife is a citizen and I have a PR but we are struggling to adjust to life here, weather etc so are looking at moving back. My wife had/has a indefinite remain to leave in the UK it's the first step in applying for a permanent residency. I read something about being able to leave the country for two years and it still being valid! Is this true? We have a little girl who has a british passport!

What are our best options?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK but complicated visa!

Chapponick

Before you and your family moved back to the UK, it is best for you to obtain Canadian citizenship before leaving.

Based on my limited understanding of ILR, as long as you had ILR and did not stay outside the UK for more than two years, then the ILR holder can return to the UK for settlement. I am sure some other members of this forum with greater knowledge on ILR than I can give you a more accurate picture regarding ILR.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When did you leave the UK?

While there is a returning resident visa it is somewhat difficult to obtain if you have been out of the country for more than two years and not maintained strong ties with the UK i.e residence.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

What do you mean strong ties? We have been out of the for 17 months to date.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Left oct 2013
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Is the visa my wife has still active up until the two years that you have left for then? If so
I guess we have until
Oct to get things sorted???
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chapponick
What do you mean strong ties? We have been out of the for 17 months to date.
So your wife can return to the UK under her ILR status.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

and arty on like she never left?

That sounds good and promising, thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and arty on like she never left?

That sounds good and promising, thanks
Presume you mean 'party' on like she never left?

You may expect to get questions on entry to the UK as to your intention to remain in the UK and live on a permanent basis, so I would have evidence on your intending to do so. Otherwise she might end up with only a visitor stamp.

Also, if and when she ever applies for British citizenship, her long absence from the UK might affect when you can do this.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

No sorry I meant carry on!sorry!
So she will still be able to work while applying for her citizenship won't she?

I guess I mean party if this all works out ok!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No sorry I meant carry on!sorry!
So she will still be able to work while applying for her citizenship won't she?

I guess I mean party if this all works out ok!
Yes, she will be able to work.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your wife tells the immigration officer that she holds ILR and is returning on a permanent basis as a visitor stamp will invalidate her ILR.

FYI ILR is permanent residence. The next stage would be to naturalise as a British citizen.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

So we have just looked at my wife's residence permit and it expired on 07-03-2014! How does she apply for a new one and does this require any additional paperwork?

Thanks all
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So we have just looked at my wife's residence permit and it expired on 07-03-2014! How does she apply for a new one and does this require any additional paperwork?

Thanks all
If your wife had Indefinite Leave to Remain she would not have a residence card which has an expiry date.

Indefinite Leave to Remain in just that - you can live permanently in the UK.

Under what circumstances did your wife obtain her residency card?

Are you a British citizen? Did she enter the UK on a spouse visa? If so, when, and how long did she live in the UK under the spouse visa?

Are you a European citizen so she entered under the EEA Family permit route?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your response, again.

I am a british citizen and she was given a pr card through a spousal visa. We also have a little girl who is a british citizen.

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.