Moving Back Home...With a US Child

Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back Home...With a US Child

Originally Posted by BostonBrit Expat Since 03
I actually got that from the main Uk immigration in the US website where all the forms are, it just sounds very strange and thought they were referring to an airline ticket to be honest,

ive never heard of a right to abode stamp, that sounds like a good plan as all I want it for is case I lose my job and have to go back in a hurry.....my son has a US passport, mine is UK and my wife canadian.....
The passport forms are a mess, so you just have to ignore the inconsistent or impossible to fulfil demands.

If you want to avoid the UK passport mess completely, why not get a Canadian passport for your son (if your wife is Canadian otherwise than by descent) and then (if you were born in the UK) send it off to have a UK Right of Abode stamp put into it. The ROA stamp proves his British citizenship and you can keep hold of his US passport all the time.

For information on ROA, start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Also make sure you understand Canadian citizenship by descent:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

SarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to behold

Can you get that stamp once you get there or does it have to be before you leave? I'm finding conflicting information regarding cost and information needed to get it, as it relates to my sons father. I'd really prefer not to get him involved. He's said he'd sign whatever I need but his mom is in the hospital with kidney failure and doesn't need anything else to worry about right now.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Amkeli is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, for the child's US passport. If yours is the SOLE name on the birth certificate then you do not need any other documentation.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...inors_834.html
Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent

You don't need any permission to remove the child from the country.

If you gain your US citizenship before leaving the country, any child you have in the UK will also have US citizenship. You must take their UK birth certificate to the embassy in London, along with your ID and proof of citizenship. They will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. I had my son's passport issued the same day.

Good luck!