Moving back to England after 6 years and one baby...

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

MollyS_ 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to England after 6 years and one baby...

My husband and I have been living in the states for about 5 and a half years now, and we recently made the decision to move back to the states. My daughter was born in 2007. I am an American citizen and my husband is English. I know that I have to get my visa for settlement before we leave the states but I'm not sure what we have to do for my daughter. Every website for UK immigration sends me to tells me to call a number that is $12 a minute or something, so I thought I'd pick you alls brains for free, if you don't mind. Is my daughter eligible for a UK passport? Or do I need to apply for settlement for her as well?

While I'm here, does anyone have any good ideas for the cheapest way to get my furniture from the states to England?

I can't believe how long my to-do list is for before I move over there. I really hope I survive this move with my sanity intact!!

Thanks for any help!!

Molly
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to England after 6 years and one baby...

Originally Posted by MollyS_ 1981
My husband and I have been living in the states for about 5 and a half years now, and we recently made the decision to move back to the states. My daughter was born in 2007. I am an American citizen and my husband is English.
Was your husband born in the United Kingdom? If so, your daughter is already British. (by descent).

If she's British, you should obtain a British style consular birth certificate + a British passport for her:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/
also http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas

Is your husband also an American citizen? If not, has he thought about naturalisation before he leaves the United States?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:37 am
Just Joined

MollyS_ 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Thanks for the info and the websites! I realize now that I wrote that we are currently in the states and moving back to the states. I meant to say that we are living in the states and moving back to England. Lol, can you tell I'm already stressed out? I can't even ask a question right!

My husband was born on an RAF base in Germany so is British borne. He has his 10 year greencard, but has not yet applied for Naturalization. We have considered it, as I would hate to go through the US immigration process again should we decide to move back, but I'm worried about the time it will take to be approved. We plan to move at the end of the summer, and I think that he must be present and living in the states at the Naturalization ceremony in order to become a citizen. I've read that it can take up to a year and sometimes more, so I'm not sure that we would be able to do it in time. I plan to teach once over there so I would have to be there by the start of the school year. What do you think?

I've spoken to the consulate's office and was told that for me to receive my visa should take not much longer than 3 months. Is that accurate?

Thanks for the advice, reading these boards and seeing how many people have made the big move and kept sane is reassuring!

Molly

Last edited by MollyS_ 1981; Jan 23rd 2009 at 9:49 am.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MollyS_ 1981
My husband was born on an RAF base in Germany so is British borne.
Not quite, but as long as his father was in "Crown Service" (ie, British military or equivalent) then he is deemed U.K. born for nationality purposes and should be a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Does his British consular birth certificate contain evidence of his father being in "Crown Service"?

He has his 10 year greencard, but has not yet applied for Naturalization. We have considered it, as I would hate to go through the US immigration process again should we decide to move back, but I'm worried about the time it will take to be approved. We plan to move at the end of the summer, and I think that he must be present and living in the states at the Naturalization ceremony in order to become a citizen. I've read that it can take up to a year and sometimes more, so I'm not sure that we would be able to do it in time. I plan to teach once over there so I would have to be there by the start of the school year. What do you think?]
Naturalisation timescales are dropping, anecdotally, but there is no guarantee it would be done if you plan to move later in the year.

Why did he not apply for citizenship sooner and is it so important for you to move in the next few months? You may need to make a decision as to what is more important ...

I've spoken to the consulate's office and was told that for me to receive my visa should take not much longer than 3 months. Is that accurate?
Normally, it should be quicker than that but every case is different. Try http://www.immigrationboards.com for advice.