Marriage and the UK Spousal Visa

Old Mar 1st 2016, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

alyssa_chromy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage and the UK Spousal Visa

Hello all! You are wonderfully helpful as I've been skimming through all these feeds gathering as much advice as I can from you. I am a USC and my fiance is a UKC. We've got a few questions about the months coming up...

We are planning to get married in the U.S. in June during a family holiday. Then my fiance (by then husband) will return to the UK. From what I understand, I can then apply for the spousal visa, correct?

I've been gathering as many documents as I can before the application; are there any specific documents you would suggest I can collect before I apply?

I guess my major question is I'm still a few months away, so what can I do to get organized and prepared of this visa in June now? Thank you!
Old Mar 1st 2016, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage and the UK Spousal Visa

Originally Posted by alyssa_chromy
Hello all! You are wonderfully helpful as I've been skimming through all these feeds gathering as much advice as I can from you. I am a USC and my fiance is a UKC. We've got a few questions about the months coming up...

We are planning to get married in the U.S. in June during a family holiday. Then my fiance (by then husband) will return to the UK. From what I understand, I can then apply for the spousal visa, correct? .....
Correct. So long as your fiancé has a job in the UK paying at least £18,600 and don't have a criminal record or a drug habit, you're not likely to have much of a problem.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You should read the following documents which provide details of the documents you have to provide:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

You have to provide evidence of fulfilling the financial requirements, accommodation requirements and relationship status. e.g payslips, bank statements, employment contract , accommodation details, marriage certificate, introduction letters passport or passport details etc

Apart from completing the application form on line you also need to download and complete Appendix 2
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Great! Thank you to you both. I'm beginning to gather everything and trying to read all the fine print. I've printed off Appendix 2 already - I keep reading people are forgetting this paperwork.

This is silly to ask, but I (the USC) applies online for this application, correct? How long after our marriage should I wait to apply?

The other thing that scares me is that I need to send in all my personal documents. I was debating on just give those to my husband when he comes over to visit so he could fly over with him. Thoughts?
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Great! Thank you to you both. I'm beginning to gather everything and trying to read all the fine print. I've printed off Appendix 2 already - I keep reading people are forgetting this paperwork.

This is silly to ask, but I (the USC) applies online for this application, correct? How long after our marriage should I wait to apply?
Yes, you need to make the initial application online and then print off the online application form and send it with Appendix 2 and your other supporting documents to Sheffield. Providing your marriage is genuine it doesn't matter how long you wait.

The other thing that scares me is that I need to send in all my personal documents. I was debating on just give those to my husband when he comes over to visit so he could fly over with him. Thoughts?
They still have to go in the post to Sheffield so you might as well post them from the US.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This is silly to ask, but I (the USC) applies online for this application, correct? How long after our marriage should I wait to apply? ....
You're probably not going to have time until after the reception, and if it's an evening reception you might want to wait until the following day. ..... Really, it just depends on how soon you can get a copy of the certificate.
.... The other thing that scares me is that I need to send in all my personal documents. I was debating on just give those to my husband when he comes over to visit so he could fly over with him. Thoughts?
Anything sent by FedEx/UPS is going to be pretty secure, but only send originals if originals are specificied.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2016 at 1:20 am.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anything sent by FedEx/UPS is going to be pretty secure, but only send originals if originals are specificied, and do not send your passport even if the original is requested, just send a copy and take the original to the interview so you can get your visa.
The OP's not going to get a visa without sending in her passport as there'll be nothing to stick it in.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The OP's not going to get a visa without sending in her passport as there'll be nothing to stick it in.
Doesn't she have to attend an interview? Mrs P had to go to the British embassy in DC.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Doesn't she have to attend an interview? Mrs P had to go to the British embassy in DC.
She'll need to give her biometrics (mugshot, fingerprints) locally at a DHS office but British embassies haven't interviewed applicants for many years now to save money. The only assessment will be done on paper in God's Own County.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis
.... The only assessment will be done on paper in God's Own County. .....
What better place.

I corrected my post above, thx!
Old Apr 5th 2016, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I guess my major question is I'm still a few months away, so what can I do to get organized and prepared of this visa in June now? Thank you!
You're making a great start. I would also recommend that you look at the UK-Yankee forum - http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php. That site is specific to your situation (US citizen-UK fiance/spouse).

KSand24 is one of the forum members, and a fountain of accurate knowledge; pretty much any question you may have will be answered.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for answering my question. Vadio thanks for that link! It's great!!

Another tiny question, I'm applying for our marriage license in advance and since my fiance is in the UK, he'll have to sign a notarized form so that I can apply for our marriage license. Do you think this will red flag him when he comes over?
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:10 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for answering my question. Vadio thanks for that link! It's great!!

Another tiny question, I'm applying for our marriage license in advance and since my fiance is in the UK, he'll have to sign a notarized form so that I can apply for our marriage license. Do you think this will red flag him when he comes over?
Rest assured that the Clerk of Courts doesn't communicate with US Customs and Border Patrol about applications for marriage licenses.

That being said, he should carry proof of the upcoming marriage. He'll be asked the purpose of his visit when he presents his passport for entry. He should say he's coming to marry you, and that he is returning home to await your arrival in the UK as his wife. It would be helpful if he has some proofs about your plan to apply for your UK spousal visa. He'll be on a return ticket I assume, and he might want to bring other proofs of a planned return home (lease, letter from employer approving his holiday with expected return date to job - whatever he might have). He should answer all questions honestly with brief, friendly answers. Most entrants have no trouble coming in for a marriage, especially if they are prepared.
Old May 16th 2016, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all, once again you've eliminated my fears. Random question, but if I get a visa in 2017 and my passport expires in 2019, should I update it now before I apply for this visa? Or will I just renew it while I'm over in the UK? - if they let me over
Old May 19th 2016, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Nobbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You should read the following documents which provide details of the documents you have to provide:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

You have to provide evidence of fulfilling the financial requirements, accommodation requirements and relationship status. e.g payslips, bank statements, employment contract , accommodation details, marriage certificate, introduction letters passport or passport details etc

Apart from completing the application form on line you also need to download and complete Appendix 2
I have just starred the online application for my wife and have seen no mention thus far of appendix 2, can you tell me what it is and where it is to be found. Also what do I actually do with it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.