Leaving UK after getting ILR

Old May 24th 2024, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Happytiara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving UK after getting ILR

Hello all
i got my ILR this week 64 days after a non-priority
application , but…..my husband has got a job in Amsterdam and we will be moving there by the end of summer. How does this impact my ILR? I don’t plan to apply for British citizenship but will it I need to restart the spouse visa when we do move back?
Old May 25th 2024, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK after getting ILR

If you are out of the UK for 2 years or more, then it's either a Returning Resident visa (getting this will depend on how long you have lived in the UK prior to the move) or start the immigration process from scratch.

Why don't you take out British citizenship which will make you eligible to come and go at will?
Old May 25th 2024, 11:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What is your current nationality?
Old May 25th 2024, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Samdiegogirl for the reply.Does the reset happen if I am out of then UK for two years in a 5 year period or just two years overall?

BritInParis I am Singaporean and do not want to give up my nationality.

Old May 25th 2024, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 years starts when you leave ......

How long do you intend to live in the Netherlands?
Old May 26th 2024, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

His contract is for a year but likely to extend so I would say a minimum of 2 years and upto 5…..
Old May 26th 2024, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Happytiara
His contract is for a year but likely to extend so I would say a minimum of 2 years and upto 5…..
There is the notion that frequent visits to the UK and/or having property, bank accounts and family in the UK, imply strong ties to the UK which are taken into account if returning after 2+ years absence.
Also how long you lived in the UK before your departure.
You should try to maintain ties to the UK if you intend to return.
Old May 26th 2024, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is the notion that frequent visits to the UK and/or having property, bank accounts and family in the UK, imply strong ties to the UK which are taken into account if returning after 2+ years absence. (no guarantee of course)
Also how long you lived in the UK before your departure.
You should try to maintain ties to the UK if you intend to return.
Old May 26th 2024, 11:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Samdiegogirl for the reply.Does the reset happen if I am out of then UK for two years in a 5 year period or just two years overall?

BritInParis I am Singaporean and do not want to give up my nationality.
Were you granted a BRP or an eVisa?
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for the delay in replying BritInParis i received a BRP which expires 31/12/24 and then I will have to use the online facility
Old Jun 4th 2024, 11:06 am

Sorry for the delay in replying BritInParis i received a BRP which expires 31/12/24 and then I will have to use the online facility
When you switch to an eVisa you’ll be able to use the ePassport gates without having to speak to an Immigration Officer so you will very likely be able to keep your ILR valid by simply visiting the UK on a relatively regular basis. I would recommend at least every six months.
Old Jun 4th 2024, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When you switch to an eVisa you’ll be able to use the ePassport gates without having to speak to an Immigration Officer so you will very likely be able to keep your ILR valid by simply visiting the UK on a relatively regular basis. I would recommend at least every six months.
I assume that this is because the OP holds a Singapore passport and that my wife (Chinese passport and eVisa) will not be abel to use the ePassport gates......
Old Jun 4th 2024, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I assume that this is because the OP holds a Singapore passport and that my wife (Chinese passport and eVisa) will not be abel to use the ePassport gates......
Correct, not with a mainland PRC passport I’m afraid.