Job offer from US company to meet financial threshold

Old Feb 9th 2020, 2:31 am
Just Joined

catsutton148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer from US company to meet financial threshold

Hi,
I’ve been living in the USA with my husband (US citizen) and we are getting ready to make the move back to the UK.

My US job has offered the opportunity for me to work remotely on a salary that would exceed the £18,600 threshold. I.e I would work from home in the UK for this company but be paid by a US based company (who do not operate in the UK)

Would this job offer be acceptable to meet the financial requirements or would I need to be offered a job with a UK company?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9th 2020, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer from US company to meet financial threshold

Unless your proposed job can show paying taxes, NIC contributions etc in the UK it will not fulfill financial requirements.

Old Feb 20th 2020, 11:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You’ll need to be payrolled through a UK entity for it to count as salaried employment. Alternatively you could move back first and treat it as self-employment.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 1:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
.... Alternatively you could move back first and treat it as self-employment.
She'd pretty much have to, as she would have to pay UK income tax and NI*, and without a UK operating entity the employer would be unable to make the payroll deductions required if she is living and working the in the UK.

* She should arrange to be paid her gross US payroll cost i.e. adding in the US payroll deductions (SS contributions) in the UK, which will given her funds over-and-above her gross salary towards the additional NI that you have to pay if you're self employed in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2020 at 1:25 am.