Irish citizen in UK: Residence

Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Irish citizen in UK: Residence

Hi all

I have a question about residence in the UK as an Irish (from Northern Ireland). I left the UK in 2006 (when I worked for a year for a British company). I then resigned and studied for 4.5 years before taking up other employment. All of this was outside Europe. I don't have property in the UK and have only returned once per year for the last 7 years (about 14 days per time only). All of my family members live in Northern Ireland (UK) and hold British passports. I used to have both British and Irish passports but I am currently in the process of renouncing British citizenship.

I wanted to ask at what point would I have lost 'residence' in the UK? Also, and most importantly, is the loss of residence in the UK of any consequence in how an EEAFP application for my non-EEA civil partner would be considered by the British Embassy (I won't be British by that time).

I have been told that, even though I have renounced British citizenship, our case may fail, as I would be viewed as being an Irish citizen who was resident in the UK. However, as I have been outside the EEA for 7 years without long periods of time in the UK, could this still be the case?

Thanks so much
CC

Last edited by chaoclive; Mar 1st 2014 at 3:30 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish citizen in UK: Residence

Perhaps better to discuss this with an immigration solicitor, it's a complex area of the law and undoubtedly the Home Office will be unhappy to see people renouncing British citizenship for this reason.

That said, if you have been living outside the United Kingdom for some time, and can evidence it, then it's not clear how you could easily be construed as resident.