British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Indefinite leave to remain in UK... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/indefinite-leave-remain-uk-928417/)

rafikiphoto Oct 9th 2019 1:53 pm

Indefinite leave to remain in UK...

My Dutch wife and I (Brit Cit) have lived in Spain for 9 years. Immediately before that we lived together in UK for 20 years and she has a stamp dated September 1995 in an old passport giving her indefinite leave to remain in UK. We haven't any current plans to return to UK but if we did does that indefinite leave to remain trump all this settled status stuff we are reading so much about now or would she have to apply for this new permission?

christmasoompa Oct 9th 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Indefinite leave to remain in UK...

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto (Post 12746023)
My Dutch wife and I (Brit Cit) have lived in Spain for 9 years. Immediately before that we lived together in UK for 20 years and she has a stamp dated September 1995 in an old passport giving her indefinite leave to remain in UK. We haven't any current plans to return to UK but if we did does that indefinite leave to remain trump all this settled status stuff we are reading so much about now or would she have to apply for this new permission?

ILR expires after 2 years out of the UK, so you'd have to start from scratch with a new spouse visa application.

HTH.

rafikiphoto Oct 9th 2019 1:57 pm

I feared as much. Thank you.

BritInParis Oct 9th 2019 9:54 pm

She can apply now for settled status from Spain providing she has a National Insurance Number.

rafikiphoto Oct 10th 2019 4:27 am

She does have an NI number. Thank you, it hadn't occurred to me that that might be possible. I'll look into it on the website.

rafikiphoto Oct 16th 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12746266)
She can apply now for settled status from Spain providing she has a National Insurance Number.

I have downloaded the app. Before I begin one question occurs to me. If she is granted Settled Status will that expire if she does not take up residence in UK before a certain time?

BritInParis Oct 16th 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto (Post 12749119)
I have downloaded the app. Before I begin one question occurs to me. If she is granted Settled Status will that expire if she does not take up residence in UK before a certain time?

It lasts for five years outside the UK.