Income requirements - work online - paid outside of UK

Old May 29th 2021, 8:55 am
Just Joined

hollyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income requirements - work online - paid outside of UK

Hello,

I've been looking online for some information but haven't found anything that matches my situation. Hoping someone here might know some more info.

I've lived outside of the UK for 8 years but hope to return in the next couple of years with my husband (non-EU) and daughter (she has a British passport). I work online, on year long contracts (although it has been renewed 3 times already and I expect it to continue), and although my pay varies each month I meet the minimum income requirement. From what I've read, I need to have been earning that amount for 6 months 'in the UK' before we can apply.

My question is: will this income be allowed to be included in our finances, considering that I'm essentially an independent contractor, and also because the pay comes from China, not the UK? And, if yes, do I have to live in the UK for 6 months before applying, or would it be enough to register and start paying UK taxes for 6 months instead (as I can work from anywhere, so would prefer to keep us in my husband's country for now to avoid splitting us up during the application process)?

Just trying to work out the least painful way to go through all this, and if I'm going to have to quit this current job (which I love because it allows me to work from home and spend more time with my daughter) and get a UK based job instead.

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 29th 2021, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income requirements - work online - paid outside of UK

The following website contains all the necessary info for financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

You need to read it carefully for your particular situation.

As I understand it and taking the following statement in Clause 1:
  1. (cc) The income of an applicant or sponsor working in the UK in salaried or non-salaried employment or in self-employment can include income from work undertaken overseas, provided paragraph E-LTRP.1.10 of Appendix FM and the other requirements of this Appendix are met.
Clause 7 then describes what you need to present as evidence of self employment in the UK. (It's a ton of stuff)
Clause 8 then states: 8. In respect of self-employment outside of the UK, evidence should be a reasonable equivalent to that set out in paragraph 7.

So, basically, you would need to show that a) your income from the online business would continue and b) that you have set up the necessary self employed registration with UK HMRC.

Your second question regarding staying where you are, registering in UK, paying taxes for 6 months I can't answer. Personally, I don't see how you can set up a company in the UK, pay taxes and you don't reside there.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; May 29th 2021 at 5:52 pm.