Imminent Return to UK… advice please

Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:50 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Imminent Return to UK… advice please

I have not posted on BE far quite some time because it seemed to me for a while that I finally got a grip on the whole emigration experience to Dubai. But exactly 1 year and 1 month on I am now in the home in preparing to go back. I have a few job interviews lined up here in March and April – just as a last resort thing and to prove to family members that I did not waste my time out here and was actually proactive. So with that in mind, I plan to book my one way ticket back to the UK for the first week of May. The main reason why I am going back is homesickness. I miss my family uncontrollably. I tried my level best to make a go of it here and at times it certainly seemed as if I would but in the end it is all too much for me.

So with that in mind, I do not have a job to go back to. As I have been out of the UK for a whole tax year, I assume that I will not have any UK liability on my foreign income? Also, my priority will be to look for another job as soon as I land. Although, I do not want to be a sponger but will need to rely on income support for a while. Does anybody know how much I would get? My salary in Dubai only covered the mortgage and bills so I have no savings. My wife doesn’t work(housewife) and we have a 15 month old toddler (who I miss everyday) and a mortgage. Also, can we apply for council tax benefit too? Are we entitled to. I want to be completely prepared before I arrive back in the UK?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:06 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Imminent Return to UK… advice please

Originally Posted by meonline
I have not posted on BE far quite some time because it seemed to me for a while that I finally got a grip on the whole emigration experience to Dubai. But exactly 1 year and 1 month on I am now in the home in preparing to go back. I have a few job interviews lined up here in March and April – just as a last resort thing and to prove to family members that I did not waste my time out here and was actually proactive. So with that in mind, I plan to book my one way ticket back to the UK for the first week of May. The main reason why I am going back is homesickness. I miss my family uncontrollably. I tried my level best to make a go of it here and at times it certainly seemed as if I would but in the end it is all too much for me.

So with that in mind, I do not have a job to go back to. As I have been out of the UK for a whole tax year, I assume that I will not have any UK liability on my foreign income? Also, my priority will be to look for another job as soon as I land. Although, I do not want to be a sponger but will need to rely on income support for a while. Does anybody know how much I would get? My salary in Dubai only covered the mortgage and bills so I have no savings. My wife doesn’t work(housewife) and we have a 15 month old toddler (who I miss everyday) and a mortgage. Also, can we apply for council tax benefit too? Are we entitled to. I want to be completely prepared before I arrive back in the UK?
Things might have changed, but as far as I am aware you are not eligible for benefits if you have been out of the country for more than 12 months. Including NHS.
You can apply and see what happens, and I'm sure you wouldn't get turned out of a hospital should anyone need healthcare, but I'm fairly certain that is the legality of the situation.
No disrespect, but coming back to the UK with absolutely no money, hoping to rely on government benefits isn't a great idea, its a recipe for debt and a bumpy road ahead imo.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Things might have changed, but as far as I am aware you are not eligible for benefits if you have been out of the country for more than 12 months. Including NHS.
You can apply and see what happens, and I'm sure you wouldn't get turned out of a hospital should anyone need healthcare, but I'm fairly certain that is the legality of the situation.

No disrespect, but coming back to the UK with absolutely no money, hoping to rely on government benefits isn't a great idea, its a recipe for debt and a bumpy road ahead imo.
This bit is completely false. But have to agree with your sentiments otherwise. The OP owns their own house, had a job and wants to come home because they miss their family (perfectly legit reason btw). But I gave up my job to come home and so did my wife, we are funding ourselves until we get jobs.

I have no issue with people coming back destitute and looking to the state for help, that's what it's there for. But not for someone that owns their home.

That's my (unpopular I'm sure) opinion.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
This bit is completely false. But have to agree with your sentiments otherwise. The OP owns their own house, had a job and wants to come home because they miss their family (perfectly legit reason btw). But I gave up my job to come home and so did my wife, we are funding ourselves until we get jobs.

I have no issue with people coming back destitute and looking to the state for help, that's what it's there for. But not for someone that owns their home.

That's my (unpopular I'm sure) opinion.
Ah ok thank you for correcting this information. Last time I was on the dole, which admittedly was over 6 years ago they would not give jobseekers allowance to people who had not lived in the UK for the last 12 months. Also with my brother being a nurse, the last time we talked about this, he said that legally, people who haven't lived in the country for the last 12months were not eligible for NHS treatments, cue him moaning about how many immigrants know only 2 words of English which is "12 months." Maybe these rule are/were applicable only to non-UK born immigrants, I'm not sure.
Interesting how quickly policy seems to change in the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Ah ok thank you for correcting this information. Last time I was on the dole, which admittedly was over 6 years ago they would not give jobseekers allowance to people who had not lived in the UK for the last 12 months. Also with my brother being a nurse, the last time we talked about this, he said that legally, people who haven't lived in the country for the last 12months were not eligible for NHS treatments, cue him moaning about how many immigrants know only 2 words of English which is "12 months." Maybe these rule are/were applicable only to non-UK born immigrants, I'm not sure.
Interesting how quickly policy seems to change in the UK.
Sorry for the confusion but I was only referring to the NHS bit. I have no idea about benefits. But NHS is definitely available to UKCs. My wife has accessed the NHS and is registered with a doctor from a previous Settlement Visa we had and she is neither a UKC or had been resident for 12mths. She went to the doctors two or three times. I went myself on a trip home 15mths ago as I contracted the flu that whole country seemed to have at that time.

Like I say I have no idea about benefits and I'm sure 'Bristol' will be along soon with his wealth of knowledge in that area. But the NHS has been available to us and I don't see why it would be different for anyone else?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:56 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

When you get home, go and talk to the Citizens Advice people who have a wealth of understanding and knowledge about what you're entitled to. With a young child at home, I'm sure that you will be able to receive income support until you're back on your feet again, plus other housing benefits too.

Homesickness is the pits I know. Good luck and try not to worry - you'll be fine!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:47 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wub
When you get home, go and talk to the Citizens Advice people who have a wealth of understanding and knowledge about what you're entitled to. With a young child at home, I'm sure that you will be able to receive income support until you're back on your feet again, plus other housing benefits too.

Homesickness is the pits I know. Good luck and try not to worry - you'll be fine!
Thanks very much. Lack of emotional support here has been very hard. I think I have done well to last as long as I have here but enough is enough.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:48 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much. Lack of emotional support here has been very hard. I think I have done well to last as long as I have here but enough is enough.
Don't take any notice of those who are very quick to judge and haven't walked a mile in your shoes.

There's some sanctimonious sorts about here!

You've tried, you've given it your best shot. Its time to move on now and you know in your heart and in your head that its the right thing to do.

Get your cv up to date, check out the various job sites back home and if work is hard to come by in your area then consider moving.

Selling the house and re-locating to another part of the UK could just be a better way of making things work for you and your family.

Best of luck - keep positive!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

also, i think the OP needs some tax advice

being out of UK does not automatically give you non-domiciled status

if the OP has maintained a home and family in UK whilst working abroad he may expect to pay UK tax on his worldwide earnings
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:36 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

If you check out moneysavingexpert.com there's a terrific amount of information there on tax status for re-pats and it looks as if you'll be ok as you've been out of the country for over a year.

Check out yougov.com too. Plenty of information there and calculators on entitlements to benefits for job seekers.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

sorry, re my earlier post, I meant non-resident, and I believe for that you have to be out of UK for a whole UK tax year with a limit on how many days spent in UK

if OP left UK in Jan 09, then it's not long before he meets the one-year point
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

leighsky is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Dubai and had to return due to ill health having been away for almost 5 years, have received full NHS benefits as well as disability and job seekers and am currently getting legal aid so you will be entitled to a lot of the benefits you have queried if not all of them.

Just be honest with them and they will help you, I financed my return to the UK for the first year and was lucky to be able to but am still very ill so have to rely on the state to help and support me (also had worked for 18 years in the U.K previously paying a huge amount of tax etc) so whilst it's not ideal I do not have any problems accepting this help.

I am lucky I am able to live with family as my husband is working 300 miles away in a new job and I have to continue with my medical treatment etc but as they say.................it could be a lot worse so good luck and you will get through it