Wikiposts

Immigration Health Surcharge

Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Health Surcharge

Originally Posted by michali
It seems that those already here on a spousal visa(and maybe other visas longer than six months) will be entitled to free NHS until they apply for FLR(M) at which time they will pay the surcharge.
That's how I read it too. The surcharge starts from 6 April.

I wonder if those on FLR(M) will pay the surcharge when they apply for ILR?
The report for the Immigration Act 2014 changes said the UK will no longer be as overly generous as it has been with it's citizens healthcare system. And that they were returning the British National Healthcare System to the British National Healthcare Systmen and not the International Healthcare System it had become. They made an exception for those with ILR who live in the UK as they have been granted settled status.

I would assume from that that they don't need to pay the surcharge when they apply legally for ILR.

Last edited by formula; Mar 21st 2015 at 12:29 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theoldgit
It's worth noting that if the non EU spouse of a British National settles in the UK, immediately finds work and thus makes NI contributions and pays UK income tax, they will still need to pay this surcharge, so are effectively paying for their cover twice.
There are already many people who work in the UK and pay taxes, but who are not allowed to use the British NHS for free. i.e. many of those who use the EU route to the UK, those on a work visa for 6 months. They need to buy an expensive CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) to cover all their healthcare and to cover all existing conditions and accidents too soon. Those are the rules and they accept these when they move to the UK.

These CSI policies are much more expensive than the £200 a year those on a UK visa will pay for free use of the British NHS; and that £200 will also cover all their existing conditions no matter how expensive they are to the UK.

Last edited by formula; Mar 21st 2015 at 12:49 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you, formula. Even though my husband and I have paid taxes for years in the UK, had strong ties to the UK, etc. we were non resident. I have never had a problem with the prospect of paying a surcharge if we returned to the UK ( my husband is non EU). We cannot have our cake AND eat it, though many would love to! I have a feeling that several new applicants will not be aware of the surcharge which comes into effect in just over two weeks and will be dismayed at the added cost and I do feel for those who will find it difficult to meet the new requirement.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I do feel for those who will find it difficult to meet the new requirement.
It would have been worse if the UK did what other countries do to protoct their nationals helathservice and insist that immigrants have to pass a medical before they can have a visa. Which they could have done.

( my husband is non EU).
It's better that he isn't an EEA citizen and that he entered the UK on a spouse visa.
If he was an EEA citizen: he would need to keep working for the UK to pay for his healthcare; or buy his own expensive CSI; or try to get his own EEA country to pay for all his healthcare if he retired to the UK. Plus the UK visa is safer.

Last edited by formula; Mar 21st 2015 at 1:14 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

They really need to give a card similar to the Carte Vitesse France has to check membership of the NHS. It could be similar to the card I've got for free prescriptions. If you lose it it doesn't matter as it's quickly replaced, and you can get the card number when you phone up to make a note of whilst you wait for the replacement to come. You don't even need to present the card in fact. But if you sign to claim free prescriptions and during the random audit they find out you aren't actually entitled, you have to pay the cost plus a fine of £100. Happened to a colleague of mine. Of course the fine needs to be a lot more than £100 too. Plus it would provide jobs for people doing the auditing. Come to think of it they could make lying to get free treatment a criminal offence.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
It would have been worse if the UK did what other countries do to protoct their nationals helathservice and insist that immigrants have to pass a medical before they can have a visa. Which they could have done.

It's better that he isn't an EEA citizen and that he entered the UK on a spouse visa.
If he was an EEA citizen: he would need to keep working for the UK to pay for his healthcare; or buy his own expensive CSI; or try to get his own EEA country to pay for all his healthcare if he retired to the UK. Plus the UK visa is safer.
Again, formula, I agree!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Thanks for saying thanks.

AFAIK, it does only cover urgent treatment. I wondered if someone had made an error? Or they had been in further talks with Oz and NZ about the agreements?

They seem to be putting all these surcharges in a pot and then the various NHS hospitals/areas claim back from that pot when the surcharge card(?) is used. I assume by next April they will know if the money taken in covers the money going out.
I'll let you know in about 6 months (if someone made a mistake), that's when we're doing my spouse visa application. There goes the neighborhood
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Come to think of it they could make lying to get free treatment a criminal offence.

It seems that lying to get something from the UK is a fail of the Good Character requirement, for 10 years from the offence or 10 years from when it was discovered.

For those using the EEA route, it seems Germany wants to change the rules so they can be deported and banned under "whoever lies, flies". Another difference between the UK visas and the EEA route.

Last edited by formula; Mar 21st 2015 at 3:41 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'll let you know in about 6 months (if someone made a mistake), that's when we're doing my spouse visa application.
If I was a betting person, I would say that nothing will change until next April.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
There goes the neighborhood
I'll warn the press
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Paying £200 is a bargain to me! Returning residents to Canada and newcomers have to wait 3 months before accessing health care and we also pay contributions 4 times year for our health care which is more than that!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Paying £200 is a bargain to me! Returning residents to Canada and newcomers have to wait 3 months before accessing health care and we also pay contributions 4 times year for our health care which is more than that!
Yep, I think it's a bargain too. In Australia, you pay 2% of your income as a mandatory tax to cover Medicare (public health). If you want to take out private cover as well it's expensive, Scouse and I pay $380 a month for our private cover.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think the British people realise what a gem they have in the National Health.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 8:44 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Here's where your £200 is going:

NHS agrees largest-ever privatisation deal to tackle backlog | Society | The Guardian

"The contract has raised concern because three of the 11 profit-driven companies involved have been heavily criticised, including two by the NHS regulator, for providing poor quality of care in hospitals and care homes. Labour’s shadow health secretary Andy Burnham said it showed that “chunks” of the NHS were being sold off – but the Department of Health insisted there had been no significant increase in the privatisation of the health service."
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Here's where your £200 is going:

NHS agrees largest-ever privatisation deal to tackle backlog | Society | The Guardian

"The contract has raised concern because three of the 11 profit-driven companies involved have been heavily criticised, including two by the NHS regulator, for providing poor quality of care in hospitals and care homes. Labour’s shadow health secretary Andy Burnham said it showed that “chunks” of the NHS were being sold off – but the Department of Health insisted there had been no significant increase in the privatisation of the health service."
What is the point of you criticising countries who have healthcare systems for their nationals, when your own country doesn't do this for their citizens?

FYI, there are four NHS; one for each country and Labour run 3 of them.

The surcharge is going into a pot for all the 4 NHS to share.

If you really want to see how badly Labour would run NHS England, then you only have to look at the dire state that the Labour run NHS Wales is in. Here are a few links for you. You can google if you want more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...-in-Wales.html

Welsh NHS has worst waiting times in UK for life-saving diagnostic tests | Society | The Guardian

BBC News - More heart patients die waiting for surgery in south Wales

Untreated patients left to die: The Labour-run Welsh NHS wastes money on bureaucrats in non-jobs yet has lethally long waiting lists for the seriously-ill that would shame a Third World country | Daily Mail Online

Read the complaints from the users of NHS Wales here. They want the service and care that NHS England gives, but Wales won't fund them anymore to use NHS England.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...ts-in-england/

It seems that fortunately for England, when this government got into power in 2010 they ring fenced NHS England from spending cuts. Unfortunately for Wales, Labour didn't do that.

Last edited by formula; Mar 21st 2015 at 11:39 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I do not think the British people realise what a gem they have in the National Health.
I do. I have family in the US. To a lesser extent for affordable healthcare, I also have family in Oz and Canada.

Last edited by formula; Mar 21st 2015 at 11:06 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.