Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

I'm a pregnant US citizen and want dual US/UK citizenship for baby

I'm a pregnant US citizen and want dual US/UK citizenship for baby

Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

usuk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm a pregnant US citizen and want dual US/UK citizenship for baby

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I doubt that any airline will allow a 38 weeks pregnant woman to fly (unless she produces a medical certificate stating that she is fit to travel). No airline wants a woman giving birth on a plane (obviously it does happen!) and then having to re-direct their flight for an emergency landing. Many airlines have a limit of 28 weeks for pregnant passengers.

If you really want dual nationality for your child, I would suggest you consider going to Canada; like the US all babies born in Canada will receive Canadian citizenship - this doesn't happen in the UK whereby being born there doesn't automatically confer British citizenship.
A short trip to Canada would certainly be not as difficult. I'm strongly considering it just because no European countries have birthright citizenship (which I already knew). I wonder how hard it would be to come back with the baby, if it were only a short trip - like if I'd have to wait for the baby to get a canadian passport, before I could bring him back. Then, I also wonder if it'd be much paperwork to ensure he's a US Citizen, as well.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by usuk2
A short trip to Canada would certainly be not as difficult. I'm strongly considering it just because no European countries have birthright citizenship (which I already knew). I wonder how hard it would be to come back with the baby, if it were only a short trip - like if I'd have to wait for the baby to get a canadian passport, before I could bring him back. Then, I also wonder if it'd be much paperwork to ensure he's a US Citizen, as well.
Hi there,

I don't get this. First you always wanted to live in the UK and give your child UK citizenship and thought it would be easy to move there, now you are strongly considering Canadian citizenship because you knew already knew you couldn't get UK citizenship.

Just curious as to why?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
usuk2 - leaving aside the question of your new baby's citizenship options, if you are really are interested long-term in living in the UK, you could look at citizenship options in all the EU countries. You may possibly have some grounds for applying for citizenship in other EU countries based on ancestry. Each country has different laws on this, but I believe Ireland & Italy are two countries that Americans sometimes successfully acquire citizenship because of parents' or grandparents' nationality. You can start by looking at the articles such as "Italian Nationality Law," "French Nationality Law" etc. in Wikipedia.
The baby's father is even more interested in living in Europe than I am. His mother's side is 100% italian - all his great grandparents were italian citizens, but none of his grandparents or parents were. It looks like you have to be a descendant of an italian citizen, up to the 2nd degree, and also live in italy for 2 years to get citizenship - [I think this didn't post before, because I had a link here; maybe that's not allowed b/c I'm new] - It seems he is a 3rd degree descendant, and I also don't think we're interested in living in Italy, we really wanted the UK.

I know his father's side is sephardic jewish - most recently from syria - if that helps, but his father and his father's parents were also just US citizens (it was his great grandparents who immigrated).

For myself, I think I'm part irish, but probably at least 4 degrees from an irish citizen. I'm also part German.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aries_bird
Hi there,

I don't get this. First you always wanted to live in the UK and give your child UK citizenship and thought it would be easy to move there, now you are strongly considering Canadian citizenship because you knew already knew you couldn't get UK citizenship.

Just curious as to why?
I knew the UK didn't have absolute birthright citizenship like the US, but I thought maybe they gave good treatment to Americans (like maybe we're friendly - Blair got involved in an asinine war on our dumb president's say-so), and that maybe if my son were born in the UK, it might make it easier to get british citizenship than if he weren't. Honestly, I really had no idea, which is why I posted.

As far as Canadian citizenship, there might not be much of an upside, but it seems pretty easy, and I don't see much of a downside (maybe spending $1,000 on a hotel).

I'm just thinking that I don't what the world will be like in 50+ years, or 20 years. Maybe dual canadian citizenship could help him not get drafted. Or maybe there are things that would be impossible to foresee that would make dual citizenship beneficial for him. I felt like the upside is unknown, and the downside isn't really much at all.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I knew the UK didn't have absolute birthright citizenship like the US, but I thought maybe they gave good treatment to Americans (like maybe we're friendly - Blair got involved in an asinine war on our dumb president's say-so), and that maybe if my son were born in the UK, it might make it easier to get british citizenship than if he weren't. Honestly, I really had no idea, which is why I posted.

As far as Canadian citizenship, there might not be much of an upside, but it seems pretty easy, and I don't see much of a downside (maybe spending $1,000 on a hotel).

I'm just thinking that I don't what the world will be like in 50+ years, or 20 years. Maybe dual canadian citizenship could help him not get drafted. Or maybe there are things that would be impossible to foresee that would make dual citizenship beneficial for him. I felt like the upside is unknown, and the downside isn't really much at all.
No special rules for Americans. In the same way there are no special rules for commonwealth members, and they (mostly, although not all anymore) share the same monarch, which some might say is a bigger tie.

You will also have to pay the medical bills in Canada, the amount would probably vary by province. I also doubt that being Canadian, or British would stop him getting drafted in the event of a major war.

Maybe you could let him choose when he's old enough?

If you want to move to another country, look at how to do it yourselves, you would have a very long wait for your child to do it for you.

I'm also starting to think this is a wind up - you've contradicted yourself more than once now, even in the last 2 posts.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I know his father's side is sephardic jewish - most recently from syria - if that helps, but his father and his father's parents were also just US citizens (it was his great grandparents who immigrated).

For myself, I think I'm part irish, but probably at least 4 degrees from an irish citizen. I'm also part German.
What about Israel then; the Law of Return is quite complex and has been subject to litigation in the Supreme Court of Israel, but (in general) someone who is a Jew has a right to naturalise as an Israeli citizen, but also someone who has a grandparent who is a Jew (and their spouse) also has the right of return. Currently, citizens and residents of Israel must serve in the military but some would argue that is good for the moral fibre etc....
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Those thread should be deleted as this person obviously can't be bothered to go through the correct procedures to move countries but has no problem manipulating the system and using her child merely as an object to acquire her desires.
Both of which are morally reprehensible and quite possibly illegal as well.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Those thread should be deleted as this person obviously can't be bothered to go through the correct procedures to move countries but has no problem manipulating the system and using her child merely as an object to acquire her desires.
Both of which are morally reprehensible and quite possibly illegal as well.
I see your point, but rather than the OP's plan being morally reprehensible & possibly illegal I see a person possibly without much experience of the world, with half-formed ideas and a lack of research skills. Maybe by pointing out other possibilities and opportunities, highlighting the pitfalls & impracticalities in the original plan, we can perhaps "teach her to fish" rather than just "giving her a fish" ..??
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I see your point, but rather than the OP's plan being morally reprehensible & possibly illegal I see a person possibly without much experience of the world, with half-formed ideas and a lack of research skills. Maybe by pointing out other possibilities and opportunities, highlighting the pitfalls & impracticalities in the original plan, we can perhaps "teach her to fish" rather than just "giving her a fish" ..??
Well there is always that too .. .
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Well there is always that too .. .
I know, I know.. I'm just an old softie..
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The baby's father is even more interested in living in Europe than I am. His mother's side is 100% italian - all his great grandparents were italian citizens, but none of his grandparents or parents were. It looks like you have to be a descendant of an italian citizen, up to the 2nd degree, and also live in italy for 2 years to get citizenship - [I think this didn't post before, because I had a link here; maybe that's not allowed b/c I'm new] - It seems he is a 3rd degree descendant, and I also don't think we're interested in living in Italy, we really wanted the UK.

Mother: 100% Italian
Father: Syrian Jew
You: Irish and German
Have I mis-read? Are there three people involved?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Mother: 100% Italian
Father: Syrian Jew
You: Irish and German
Have I mis-read? Are there three people involved?
I think she means the baby's father's mother has Italian heritage, baby's father's father is a Syrian Jew, baby's mother is Irish and German. But they are all so far removed that none of them have actual nationality of any of these countries, my understanding is that they're all technically American now.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I think she means the baby's father's mother has Italian heritage, baby's father's father is a Syrian Jew, baby's mother is Irish and German. But they are all so far removed that none of them have actual nationality of any of these countries, my understanding is that they're all technically American now.
Gotcha. The 'he' is the father and not the baby.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Dashie
but, possibly eligible for israeli citizenship. service in the idf for a young man can be character-building, as opposed to stealing old lady's handbags or whatever it is young men in england do.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:35 pm
He/him

but, possibly eligible for israeli citizenship. service in the idf for a young man can be character-building, as opposed to stealing old lady's handbags or whatever it is young men in england do.
Given the arragoance, rudness, cultural insensitivity of so many recent IDF travellers I have met, I would say that might not be the case. It seems to mess a lot of young people up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.