Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

I'm PR in Canada, husband Canadian financial provider, how to do spousal sponsorship

I'm PR in Canada, husband Canadian financial provider, how to do spousal sponsorship

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

may_bettesworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm PR in Canada, husband Canadian financial provider, how to do spousal sponsorship

So I've been living in Canada with my husband for 10 years.
We have two children and I am a stay at home mum.
We wish to come to the U.K. to settle. I miss my family and want to come home.
Because he is the main financial provider how do we go about this? I know I need to be earning, but obviously I haven't been as I have been raising our children.
Could he possibly get a job offer before we relocate? Would I need to go home first and get a job offer? What are our options?
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm PR in Canada, husband Canadian financial provider, how to do spousal sponsors

Read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

Basically, YOU, as the British citizen, must sponsor your husband. His salary/income is not relevant.

If you have no current job, then you would need to return to the UK, get a job earning 18,600 GBP per annum and then, after 6 months, apply for your husband's visa. (this does not sound practical with two children in tow)

Alternatively, there is the savings route - 62,500 GBP would mean you could apply for the visa from Canada and, when approved, travel together to the UK.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm PR in Canada, husband Canadian financial provider, how to do spousal sponsors

Originally Posted by may_bettesworth
So I've been living in Canada with my husband for 10 years.
We have two children and I am a stay at home mum.
We wish to come to the U.K. to settle. I miss my family and want to come home.
Because he is the main financial provider how do we go about this? I know I need to be earning, but obviously I haven't been as I have been raising our children.
Could he possibly get a job offer before we relocate? Would I need to go home first and get a job offer? What are our options?
The OP should consider apply for Canadian citizenship before returning to the UK.

With regards to satisfying the UK spouse visa financial requirement, cash savings can be use. You need to have £62,500 worth of cash savings for at lease six months before your application. Money from house sale do not need to be held for six months.

Does your Canadian husband have a grandparent born in the UK? If so, he could apply for an Ancestry visa instead. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

If you are a British Citizen born in the UK, your children are likely to be British Citizens by descent. You should look into getting the children their British passport now.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports