I'm finally back, But what a headache!

Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm finally back, But what a headache!

No flames from me. If you want to enter a country to live, do it legally. My boys are citizen by descent and I wouldn't expect them to be able to move their children to UK (if they had any) without proper visas in place. I needed mine to move to US even though my Dh was already a USC.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

She seems pretty hot on her 'rights' so will probably get away with it.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The OP may get away with it but her children have no rights to British citizenship or residency. I wonder what happens if you overstay in the UK when you are not a citizen or have a visa? Deportation...banned for entering the UK?? Perhaps the OP should look into this.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP may get away with it but her children have no rights to British citizenship or residency. I wonder what happens if you overstay in the UK when you are not a citizen or have a visa? Deportation...banned for entering the UK?? Perhaps the OP should look into this.
It sounds like they are getting the MP tto arrange some kind of dispensation for them. However, from what I've read on here, I don't think the MP is right in saying, "the UK is the only EU country that does not allow spouses and dependent children into the country of its citizens".
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't believe that the OP is trying to get away with it, but she is complaining strongly about paying 900 UKP for the visa.

In order to justify this complaint she appears to be saying that her son has the right to live with her because he is her dependent and that having to pay this fee is unfair.

I just thought that she was incorrect in her assumptions.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
No, the applicant has to be over 17 . The grandparent also has to be born before 1922.
Aha, hadnt picked the over 17 as it hasnt been relevant to me - the born before 1922 is only for Irish grandparents though. So my grandkids will be able to apply when they are 17.

In the meantime however, I guess it is comforting to know that they could come with my son (citizen by descent) for under £1k - I call that a really good deal! Now to persuade him and his wife that living in UK beats Aus hands down!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

I am probably going to be shotdown in flames with this post, but I don't see what the OP is complaining about.

The OP is British by descent (her mother a British citizen was living in Canada when she gave birth to the OP). The OP has lived her whole life in Canada. She is not able to pass her British citizenship to her son. Her son is Canadian.

Contrary to what the OP says, the only place where her son has the 'right'to live with her, have access to schooling and health care is Canada.

So OP needed a visa for son to move with her to the UK. She was advised on this earlier, but chose not to do so. At UK immigration she says she was given a hard time by the POE but, really, he was just doing his job. The OP did not have the relevant visa in order to allow her son to live in the UK. The POE provided a visitor's visa and advised her to obtain the relevant resident visa for her son.

She says than an immigration official told her that the UK is the only place that does not allow spouses and dependents of its citizens into the country. Not true. The US for example does not allow the spouses and dependent of its citizens into the US without visas if the said spouses and dependents are not US citizens - and the process takes a whole lot longer than entering the UK.

This has nothing to do with human rights, this is immigration law.

Her son is now in school (free) and has access to the NHS (free)- 'technically' since the son is on a visitor's visa he does not have access to the NHS apart from emergency treatment, another little technicality the OP has forgotten, but lets not get into that).

In other countries the son would undoubtedly not have free access to both of those benefits.

I suggest the OP pay up for the necessary visa.

With respect to what would have happened had she returned to the UK with no money and then been expected to pay for the visa, had she applied for the visa in the first place she would have been asked for supporting evidence that she could support her son (s) without recourse to public funds. If she had shown that she did not have the monetary funds to support her family, she would have been refused the visa for her son until such time as co-sponsors came along to do so.

The fact that she by-passed the visa application stage, meant that she also bypassed proving the monetary requirements.

See below:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tled/children/

Ready to be flamed .....
No you shouldn't get flamed, this is correct. Nationality goes to one generation by descent by not automatically two. Her son is 100% Canadian and needs a visa to be in Britain.

Last edited by calliope; Jun 18th 2012 at 5:17 am.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I am probably going to be shotdown in flames with this post, but I don't see what the OP is complaining about.

The OP is British by descent (her mother a British citizen was living in Canada when she gave birth to the OP). The OP has lived her whole life in Canada. She is not able to pass her British citizenship to her son. Her son is Canadian.

Contrary to what the OP says, the only place where her son has the 'right'to live with her, have access to schooling and health care is Canada.

So OP needed a visa for son to move with her to the UK. She was advised on this earlier, but chose not to do so. At UK immigration she says she was given a hard time by the POE but, really, he was just doing his job. The OP did not have the relevant visa in order to allow her son to live in the UK. The POE provided a visitor's visa and advised her to obtain the relevant resident visa for her son.

She says than an immigration official told her that the UK is the only place that does not allow spouses and dependents of its citizens into the country. Not true. The US for example does not allow the spouses and dependent of its citizens into the US without visas if the said spouses and dependents are not US citizens - and the process takes a whole lot longer than entering the UK.

Her son is now in school (free) and has access to the NHS (free)- 'technically' since the son is on a visitor's visa he does not have access to the NHS apart from emergency treatment, another little technicality the OP has forgotten, but lets not get into that).

In other countries the son would undoubtedly not have free access to both of those benefits.

I suggest the OP pay up for the necessary visa.

With respect to what would have happened had she returned to the UK with no money and then been expected to pay for the visa, had she applied for the visa in the first place she would have been asked for supporting evidence that she could support her son (s) without recourse to public funds. If she had shown that she did not have the monetary funds to support her family, she would have been refused the visa for her son until such time as co-sponsors came along to do so.

The fact that she by-passed the visa application stage, meant that she also bypassed proving the monetary requirements.

See below:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tled/children/

Ready to be flamed .....
No flaming here - the OP knew she needed a visa for her son but chose to go without and is now PO'ed that she has to pay for the visa she should have obtained prior to entering the UK. No human rights are being infringed just the bank balance of the OP. Which seems to be more what she is upset about IMHO.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 3:56 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

I'm not going to bother to flame you, SanDiegogirl. You don't know anything about me, nor do you have your facts on me straight, so it's just a waste of my time, really.

Immigration law does infringe on Human rights. End of story.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nohinsara
I'm not going to bother to flame you, SanDiegogirl. You don't know anything about me, nor do you have your facts on me straight, so it's just a waste of my time, really.

How?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

When you created this thread you didn't present the full facts (get to know you) so that those reviewing the thread and looking to respond could do so knowing the full story. You even went so far as to say apparently this is your own fault. It was, at the time that you entered, 100% your fault.

I can just imagine what could befall any number of other individuals, British passport holders or otherwise, who flaunted what they knew to be the normal processes to expect at Immigration in the UK or worse in the hope that infringement of their human rights could be in some way be later thrown up as a defense - such as strip-searches, denial of entry and even locking up.

Even though abuse can exist, immigration and border control are there to protect the nation's interests and we should be glad that they are there to do just that in spite of the perceived bureaucracy - 9/11 and illegals and all that.

We are British Expats. I'm sure split families and split citizenships due to divorce and other traumatic circumstances are a dime a dozen for those on here, but we have to live with it as laws are laws in spite of the fact that we can somehow credit ourselves with having rights. Rights which in many cases would make life more dangerous or put us above those offered to the local population.

End of
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little unsure how immigration law infringes human rights - especially in your situation which from what you are saying appears to just require a visa to be applied for. Can you eloborate so I can ensure I am understanding your situation correctly?
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It might have been an infringement of "Human Rights" had you not had any avenue for getting your child into the country but it seems that there was a perfectly simple way of getting them in so in no way were you barred from living in a country where you are a citizen. The fact that it costs a bit is neither here nor there, it's a small price to pay for the privilege.

TBH I'd be more concerned for those UK citizens who want to live in UK but have a "foreign" spouse and under new regulations are going to be required to find more than 20 times the cost of a child visa (plus spousal visa cost) but, even then, the avenue is still going to be open for them (at a huge price) and they arent consigned to a life in a foreign country if they are desperate.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:33 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
It might have been an infringement of "Human Rights" had you not had any avenue for getting your child into the country but it seems that there was a perfectly simple way of getting them in so in no way were you barred from living in a country where you are a citizen. The fact that it costs a bit is neither here nor there, it's a small price to pay for the privilege.

TBH I'd be more concerned for those UK citizens who want to live in UK but have a "foreign" spouse and under new regulations are going to be required to find more than 20 times the cost of a child visa (plus spousal visa cost) but, even then, the avenue is still going to be open for them (at a huge price) and they arent consigned to a life in a foreign country if they are desperate.
Yay!!

(Now if I can just win the lotto...)
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Same with Australia. Spouses and dependents need a visa to travel here, whether on holiday or migrating. Without one they'd be lucky to even get past check-in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.