Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

I'm 28 y.o. Filipino with a British Step-Dad adopted me, can I apply for citizenship?

I'm 28 y.o. Filipino with a British Step-Dad adopted me, can I apply for citizenship?

Old Feb 28th 2017, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Lalelilolu is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking I'm 28 y.o. Filipino with a British Step-Dad adopted me, can I apply for citizenship?

(Repost as I've made a mistake including a poll!)

Hi, I've came across posts about adults still being able to apply for a british passport, I just want to know if its still possible in my case:

28 year old lady with a Filipino passport born in 1988. I have been adopted in year 2000 by my step dad whose been born in London (1953) and a British citizen who's married my mum in 1994. My adoption papers were presented and aproved by the judicial system in the Philippines which ultimately made my step-dad my legal parent. Philippines is a signatory in The Hague convention. All my certificates (baptism/birth, schools and passport) has my British dad as my father. From what I've gathered below:

Every British citizen is either a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent.

This difference is important because the type of citizenship people have decides the

A British citizen otherwise than by descent, can automatically pass on British citizenship to a child born outside the UK. You can be a British Citizen otherwise than by descent by:

Birth;

Registration;

Naturalisation;

Adoption.
A British citizen by descent is a person born outside the UK and is acquired if one or both parents are British citizens. This means that you cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to any child who is born abroad. You are a British citizen by descent if:

You are born outside the UK to a parent who was a British citizen at the time;

It does not matter whether the birth took place before or after 1 January 1983 as long as a child who was born before that date became a British citizen on that date;

Would this allow me to apply for a citizenship?. Thank you in advance
Old Feb 28th 2017, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm 28 y.o. Filipino with a British Step-Dad adopted me, can I apply for citizens

Originally Posted by Lalelilolu
(Repost as I've made a mistake including a poll!)

Hi, I've came across posts about adults still being able to apply for a british passport, I just want to know if its still possible in my case:

28 year old lady with a Filipino passport born in 1988. I have been adopted in year 2000 by my step dad whose been born in London (1953) and a British citizen who's married my mum in 1994. My adoption papers were presented and aproved by the judicial system in the Philippines which ultimately made my step-dad my legal parent. Philippines is a signatory in The Hague convention. All my certificates (baptism/birth, schools and passport) has my British dad as my father. From what I've gathered below:

Every British citizen is either a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent.

This difference is important because the type of citizenship people have decides the

A British citizen otherwise than by descent, can automatically pass on British citizenship to a child born outside the UK. You can be a British Citizen otherwise than by descent by:

Birth;

Registration;

Naturalisation;

Adoption.
A British citizen by descent is a person born outside the UK and is acquired if one or both parents are British citizens. This means that you cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to any child who is born abroad. You are a British citizen by descent if:

You are born outside the UK to a parent who was a British citizen at the time;

It does not matter whether the birth took place before or after 1 January 1983 as long as a child who was born before that date became a British citizen on that date;

Would this allow me to apply for a citizenship?. Thank you in advance
Just a matter of interest: Does your certificate of birth have your British dad [named] as your father even he is not your biological father?

Last edited by inggris; Feb 28th 2017 at 5:21 am.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Lalelilolu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm 28 y.o. Filipino with a British Step-Dad adopted me, can I apply for citizens

Originally Posted by inggris
Just a matter of interest: Does your certificate of birth have your British dad [named] as your father even he is not your biological father?
Yes. They've amended every certificate to have my step-dad as my father (to replace my deceased biological Japanese father's name) after the adoption have been approved/made legal.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is no. For a longer answer read this.