Hungary

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Ratsima is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hungary

Has anyone used or heard of Hungary being used for the Surinder Singh Route (SSR) back to UK? If not Hungary, what about other countries in the region - Slovakia, Poland, Romania etc? Even Russia?

If nobody has done it yet, do you think there might be any special - even negative - considerations to using Hungary or nearby country for the SSR.

Thanks in advance....
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hungary

Russia ? I think you misunderstand the rules about Surinder Singh process.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 8:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Any EEA member or Switzerland is acceptable for the Surinder Singh route so all the countries you have mentioned are fine. Except Russia, obviously
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Language is an obvious problem, perhaps too obvious to mention.
Then there is risk of conscription, if either spouse has any claim to citizenship in the host country. And the clouds of war are gathering as the puppetmasters do their damnedest to stir up a war in Europe.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Hi again. Thanks for all the answers and apologies for wandering across EU borders in my enthuiasm to mention countries being perhaps in a "similar" situation as Hungary. (And why do other people respond with scornful point-scoring that adds no value to the discussion)

holly_1948: you mention language as an obvious problem. This is indeed a major issue but do you mean language for just getting about and living there; or language as a measure of integration; or both. I'm unsure how the system interprets learning the local language as a proof of integration - I've read that 19% of Hungarians are English speakers (if that matters).

Is a language test or language question ever part of the official process or assessment at the "Family Member of an EEA National" application stage or any other stage?

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer....
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ratsima
Hi again. Thanks for all the answers and apologies for wandering across EU borders in my enthuiasm to mention countries being perhaps in a "similar" situation as Hungary. (And why do other people respond with scornful point-scoring that adds no value to the discussion)

holly_1948: you mention language as an obvious problem. This is indeed a major issue but do you mean language for just getting about and living there; or language as a measure of integration; or both. I'm unsure how the system interprets learning the local language as a proof of integration - I've read that 19% of Hungarians are English speakers (if that matters).

Is a language test or language question ever part of the official process or assessment at the "Family Member of an EEA National" application stage or any other stage?

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer....
No;there isn't a language test until your spouse would come to apply for British citizenship (if they wish to do so, that is). At this stage they should pass an English test at B1/B2/C1/C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, unless they are a citizen of an English speaking country or have a 'degree taught or researched in English'.

The EEA route to PR doesn't have a language requirement.

Details here: https://www.gov.uk/english-language.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Chaoclive, thanks for the confirmation of the language situation on the EEA route.

Regarding the B1/B2/C1/C2 part of the process which might apply later, I wrote to NARIC - the body that carries out equivalence comparison of overseas degrees and language stuff too - about the validity of their certificates. They replied:
UK NARIC is the National Agency responsible for providing information and advice about vocational, academic and professional skills and qualifications from all over the world. We provide information about the equivalency of qualifications and skills from overseas to the UK's national qualifications frameworks.

Whilst assessments may change over time due to new research and information, the UK NARIC English Language Asssessment does not have a validity period. However, we are not aware of how the Home Office views UK NARIC Assessments issued several months or years ago. For confirmation, we recommend you contact the Home Office directly.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

I'm not sure that that is useful or not but that's their answer. The red text is theirs not mine.

Thanks again for the input...

Old Jun 25th 2015, 6:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Being ready to make an application for naturalisation is at least five years away and the requirements will undoubtedly be changed during that time - the EU referendum is only two years away. Better to come back to the question after PR is confirmed.